PDA

View Full Version : Low Idle at stoplights

89cordlx
11-28-2003, 08:05 PM
When I am at a red light and my foot is on the brake my idle is a rough 800ish I want to bump it up to like 1000. How do I do that? I know there is a screw on the TB that I am supposed to turn but I don't know which way to turn, or to have the engine running or not. when I am in park and the engine is warm it idles at like 1krpm but with the brake pressed it goes to 800ish.

Tref_LXI
11-28-2003, 08:08 PM
I think you turn it right. All you have to do is turn on the car and turn the screw right or left. You should see the idle go up or down.

zero.counter
11-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Clock-wise slowly to raise and counter to reverse. When was the last time you had your timing adjusted?

Actually, I see what you are saying. When you depress the brake. The brake light are drawing to much from your alternator meaning a couple of thing since it is not normal. How is your battery as far as electrlytes? Is it charged up well? The alternator, have you pulled and tested? Do you have any accessories with an excessive drain on the electrical subsystem, i.e. sound system, fogs, video displays, and so on.

Oakenfold
11-28-2003, 09:04 PM
yeah test ur alternator! cuz I have the same problem! But I know for a fact that it's my alternator that's causing the problem... because I have a system and everytime I have it on my lights are dimming and it idles low and all that shit... it's annoying. I'll be getting a new Bosch one with 5 year warranty on it very soon......

89cordlx
11-28-2003, 09:56 PM
well, I don't know how to test my alternator, but my battery is good, it's only about a year old. I don't have sound system or anything, just a sony cd player. And yeah my lights dim when I hit the brake. And I don't know the last time my timing was checked, I think if I end up needing a new alternator I might get the timing belt done. Where can I get my alternator tested at? and how hard is it to remove and replace?

3rd GEN
11-28-2003, 10:50 PM
ya..mine has a really low idle too... or it jumps around alot..
from 700-1000
some one told me it was the fast idle valve too or somethin..
i can't find now screw on the TH...where is it??
i didn't even know efi cars had one...hmmmmmmmm

89cordlx
11-29-2003, 12:12 AM
there is a pic somewhere, I found it when I did a search for a pic hehe

danronian
11-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Yeah mine lights dim when I hit the brake, but that idle speed is where it should be set at, just look under the hood at the emissions info and it will tell you what it should be from factory. But the thing is I have had the car for over a year, installed a little sound system (one amp and a new HU), and my battery has never lost charge, so I just don't worry about it. I know it shouldn't do it, but cleaning up my grounds and making sure they were tight helped mine do it less. Try that and it should help.

89cordlx
11-29-2003, 08:18 PM
well I know the idle is suposed to be like 750... but even thats low for like any car I ever seen. it's like this if I am at a light and I press the gas while my foot is on the brake and I bring the rpms to about 1k, my car smooths out alot and so having it at 1k all the time would mean it's fixed

Neuspeed87lx
11-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by 3rd GEN
ya..mine has a really low idle too... or it jumps around alot..
from 700-1000
some one told me it was the fast idle valve too or somethin..
i can't find now screw on the TH...where is it??
i didn't even know efi cars had one...hmmmmmmmm

the fast idle is when you first start the car up .... and the car idles high .... like around 2k .... it warms the car up .... then drops down to the normal operating rpm.... like 750

Justin86
11-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Well the idle is suppose to be that low and I would change it. When you car is at idle your head light will dim some when you hit the brakes esp when the high beams are on. Mine does it to but only at idle. It is probably isn't anything big.

89cordlx
11-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Well the only reason I want to is because my car vibrates at that low of a idle. There isn't any variation in the idle when I start the car or when it's been running (accept when the turn signal is on)

Oakenfold
12-01-2003, 07:53 AM
What do u mean there is no variation in the idle? U mean when u start ur car and the engine is cold ur idle is not above 1500???
And I am telling u the reason the idle goes down is because the alternator the car comes with is pretty shitty... When u press on the brakes it draws more electricity from the alternator to light the brake lights, therefore causing ur idle to drop!!!
I have the exact same problem and I will be getting a new alternator very shortly... probably a bosh premium 5 year warranty! It should be much better than what's in there right now!

3rd GEN
12-01-2003, 11:16 AM
well i just replaced my PCV valve and adjusted my idle and it's fine now

my PCV valve was a bitch to get out..i don't think that thing had been replaced b4..

BMS
12-01-2003, 12:30 PM
IF you have a full battery it shouldn't matter whether you step on the brakes or not, your headlights shouldn't dim at all. When at idle the battery should compensate for the lack of alternator power. I had a shitty batt and my lights used to dim, but now I got a new batt and I can idle my sub, heater, headlights all on at the same time and nothing dims.

89cordlx
12-01-2003, 01:10 PM
yeah, I did buy a $20 physically defective (missing wrapper) battery from Interstate. Maybe it's time for an optima. I tried to turn that screw, and I like couldn't get my screw driver into the notch to turn it very well, also when I did turn it, I got it like a quarter turn I didn't notice any difference in idle.

Oakenfold
12-02-2003, 08:01 AM
what exactly is the function of the PCV valve?

3rd GEN
12-02-2003, 09:48 AM
i'm not 100% but it does affect your idle and smoothness of the car.. i think it could be linked to air/fuel mixture to..mmmmmmm

i dunno, just a wild guess...someone back me up here

89cordlx
12-02-2003, 07:43 PM
maybe I should check that (it does run rich).... I don't even know where it is though

danronian
12-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Look in the FAQ section, it explains it. Just take it out and clean it with some tb/carb cleaner, it will make it just like new. Mine was gunked closed and it didnt help my idle to clean it at all. I have the same prob as you, I have narrowed it down and it must be my timing. I dont want to mess with it though b/c I need to pass emissions, and if I screw it up from where they adjusted it, I pay an extra $100+.