PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Install???

troutz15
11-29-2003, 11:24 AM
I have a 89' Accord LX with completely stock suspension. Since coilovers are adjustable, im planning on getting some. What i want to know is how exactly do they work. Do you need to buy struts or shocks as well to use coilovers? Any help would be really appreciated.

shepherd79
11-29-2003, 12:00 PM
oh please GOD help this guy.
don't buy coilovers. they are way too stiff. your ride will jump all over the road.
just get lowering springs and Tokico struts and you should be OK.

Justin86
11-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Get the coilover if you plan on spending the $700 for revalved blistens.

We need to find out what to do with the 92-00 Civic strut/springs to make them work. This is pissing me off that everyone is stuck with shitty struts and has little options for lowering. :mad:

HaccordR89
11-30-2003, 09:41 PM
i bought weapon R coilovers for my car from nopi, it said they were for the 86-89 but i think they're actually for a 4th gen accord. anyway, i have my stock struts and they work great, the ride is pretty damn good too, actually it's a nicer ride than any other slammed car i've ridden in. Everything i've heard people say about having to buy struts with coilovers and what not is hype, it's a myth. just buy some coilovers and throw them on. they work because they're is basically a "bolt" with two "nuts" on them, the spring sits on theese "nuts" and when you want to adjust them, you just either raise the "nuts" up and tighten the two against each other, or vice versa to lower the car more. the only thing i have to warn is keep the coil clean. other wise dirt and crap gets in there making it harder to adjust them, it wont ruin them but it makes it a pain in the ass. Sorry about the lamens terms i just don't want to have to explain what each part it, i figured this way he'll get a better mental pic of what they are and how they work

HaccordR89
11-30-2003, 09:43 PM
i would also suggest a cambert kit, my cv joint goes out about once a year since i slammed it, and im pretty sure it's because of the negative camber on my car.

guaynabo89
12-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by HaccordR89
Everything i've heard people say about having to buy struts with coilovers and what not is hype, it's a myth.

WRONG!

Obviously you've never had a good set of struts on any car you've owned by making that statement.

Don't listen to this guy he is wrong.

You can run normal struts on lowered cars with lowering springs and have a half decent ride. Coilovers is a different story. THey are about twice as stiff as lowering springs. Normal struts will do nothing for you. You will hate the ride.

Take a look at the threads at the top of this page. THey list spring stiffness over stock. That will give you a very good idea on what ride will be like.

AZmike
12-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by guaynabo89
WRONG!

Don't listen to this guy he is wrong.

:werd:

So HaccordR89, how long have you stock dampers lasted so far?