PDA

View Full Version : where can i get one of those fubu (is that right) antennas

NOAHS88accord
06-27-2002, 04:35 AM
i want one of those antennas that the getta's or whatever volkswagen it is has? the ones on the roof that are slanted backwars and about 7"long

anybody know what im talkin about

do i have to go get one off a volkswagen or can i buy one somewhere ?

thanks in advance

NOah:flipa:

accordlx
06-27-2002, 06:31 AM
http://home.insight.rr.com/mccorvey1/Picture_290.jpg

Is this what you were referrring to? I got mine from a junkyard off a VW Golf. You should be able to get this from any VW website around. I would not suggest going to the VW dealership though because they want like $80 for the thing.

Make sure that you do get an amplified one though or your radio reception will stink.

YK86
06-27-2002, 09:13 AM
I got my amplified Fuba antenna from a local guy new for $30 or something and the amplified ones help bring in much better reception than stock. Try E-bay.

89accordlxi
06-27-2002, 11:26 AM
ACCORDLX, that looks very nice. Was it hard to install??? You have to pretty much remove the headliner to do it don't you?

What do you mean by amplified? How do you know if one is amplified or not? Is it an external amplifier or is it built into the antenna?

Sorry for all the questions but I gots to get me one of those.
I have always liked them on the VWs but never considered putting one on a 3g. Very good idea...Nice job.

Either PM me or respond in this post.

Thanks..

I'm out

YK86
06-27-2002, 02:51 PM
You do have to remove the headliner to get the wires running nicely. Another reason is you have to drill a hole and you don't want to drill the headliner. The amplified ones should have a + and - wiring coming out of it. The imitation ones I think just stick to the roof with a double sided tape??? I wired the + to the remote line of the deck and the - to an appropriate grounding spot.

accordlx
06-27-2002, 05:36 PM
Yasu is right about the wiring. As for removing the headliner, thats a good idea too. I personally didnt but that is because Ive been cutting and drilling cars since I was 14. (those were the days...) anyways, if you are careful, you can just pull down the back part of the headliner and fish the wires thru.

89accordlxi
06-27-2002, 08:47 PM
Hey thanks for the replies guys. I am definitely going to do that mod for sure... By the way, what kind of steering wheel is that ACCORDLX? Very Original. I know you can't be giving away all of your secrets so I will understand if you don't want to give out that sort of info, but was it a direct fit or did you have to do some modifications to get it to fit??

Thats all of the questions. Thanks for any additional help you can provide..

Later..

offthahook
06-27-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 89accordlxi
By the way, what kind of steering wheel is that ACCORDLX? Very Original. I know you can't be giving away all of your secrets so I will understand if you don't want to give out that sort of info, but was it a direct fit or did you have to do some modifications to get it to fit??

I'm guessing 88-91 Prelude.

accordlx
06-28-2002, 02:57 AM
3rd gen Prelude steering wheel. It bolts right in and the cruise control is plug and play. The only modification is that you have to trim the plastic shroud behind the steering wheel because it rubs the wheel when you turn it.

NOAHS88accord
06-29-2002, 01:49 AM
alright anybody know any good vw sites to look at for that antenna?

gr3k0sLaV
06-29-2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by accordlx
3rd gen Prelude steering wheel. It bolts right in and the cruise control is plug and play. The only modification is that you have to trim the plastic shroud behind the steering wheel because it rubs the wheel when you turn it.

I think its a good original idea, however I must admit that I dont care for the prelude wheels...they just dont look right to be.
I just like the stock ones.

Personal preference too, but it's called 'customising your car' to your like.

accordlx
06-29-2002, 12:14 PM
http://home.insight.rr.com/mccorvey1/Picture_202.jpg

I personally think it gives the car a more sporty look inside and is more comfortable to hold onto. I agree though, not all tastes are the same.

SQ is the SQUAD
07-02-2002, 12:21 PM
i got my fuba antenna off ebay. i got the new shorter vershion, its amplifyed. its like the ones on the new jettas and s2000. $30

dj99
07-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Could you mount one of those directly over the old mount? My radio reception generally sucks with the factory antenna! :rant:

accordlx
07-02-2002, 02:59 PM
You could probally rig something but the stock hole is bigger than the one required by the Fuba mounting hole.

dj99
07-02-2002, 03:05 PM
Thanks!

Maybe I'll just get an in-line antenna amp, since my stock power antenna still works. :)

Bassman
07-02-2002, 03:34 PM
How do those cars go through carwashes? Doesn't the antenna sticking up all the time get damaged?

(And the first one to say "you shouldn't drive through carwashes" gets a :stick: )

BoredRec
07-02-2002, 04:51 PM
I don't know about the FUBA ones, but the VW ones unscrew...I watched some car wash dude do that to a Jetta. Speaking of car washes (this is a tad off subject) I love taking my 3g to the local car wash...all you see all day is Navigators, Excursions, Escalades, Beemers...and then there's my 88 LXi. It actually looks damn good when it comes out of the tunnel.

hondaman87
07-02-2002, 05:04 PM
here is one of those antenas if any one is interested

here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1840628114)

Bassman
07-03-2002, 07:06 AM
I like it.

http://www.locustom.com/site_images/shark_attack_ii.jpg