PDA

View Full Version : I Broke It

sporkHSP
11-29-2003, 11:01 PM
Thanksgiving night, i was driving to my girlfriends house, and i noticed that when i punched the gas, the RPMs reved to 4K w/o any gain in speed, then after a second it would go... i thought it was wierd, but i was on the highway so i couldnt stop...
Anyway, later on after the highway, i was going up a hill and the car started to slow, and then the dreaded red lights on the guages came on (those who have killed their cars know which ones im talking about)...She stopped dead on the hill. I tried to start it again, but it wouldnt turn over, just click. :(
...a guy in a big van pushed me up the hill, and i parked it on a side street for the night, and had it towed friday morning.
does anyone know what i could have broken?
(on a side note, i was right when i said that i break something every thousand miles that i drive it, i just saw before it happened, that she crossed 81K )

neoblue89lxi
11-29-2003, 11:15 PM
I think your tranny would be messed up for not kicking into gear or hesitating and as for the car going dead is probably from a loss of oil pressure. Maybe a leaky head gasket. I'm not a mechanic so dont beleive what I have said but I am sure of one thing, your screwed sorry.

sporkHSP
11-29-2003, 11:18 PM
i checked the oil, and it was still full...
and i think i probably have killed the tranny... but would that kill the car?

neoblue89lxi
11-29-2003, 11:25 PM
It doesnt make sense. The tranny shouldn't keep the car from turning over.

Elijah
11-29-2003, 11:35 PM
It is propily ur alternater.It happened to me.

Elijah
11-29-2003, 11:37 PM
Try boosting it.If it starts unhook the groung wire to the battery if it stops it means ur alt is dead.If it keeps running I have no clue.

neoblue89lxi
11-29-2003, 11:45 PM
Your car might also have a gas line blockage. It would stop pulling if it is not getting needed fuel supply. I would check all fuel related systems. I dont nkow excactly but that may be the problem. It could be your altenator as Elijah said. Easy to check that. Your car only needs the battery to start so if you unhook the negative and the car dies then it is just draining your battery. Good luck and I hope someone educated in this sort of stuff will give you a better answer than I.

A20A1
11-30-2003, 03:23 AM
was it a steep hill? how full was your gas tank?

sporkHSP
11-30-2003, 08:51 AM
the hill is not too steep, nothing too severe... my gas tank is like 1/4 full, and it wouldnt start on level ground either.

Justin86
11-30-2003, 10:49 AM
Well if you warning light are on the gauge cluster look at you ECU and see if you are throwing a code. It might help you get close to what the prob is.

jigga225
11-30-2003, 04:35 PM
you have a std or auto?

it may rev without goonig if your clutch is gone or needs adjustment. as for not turning over and killing the car.... I dunno man

al010101
11-30-2003, 06:38 PM
if it just clicks, it's something power related, or perhaps your tranny siezed in gear and in effect `seized` the engine....unless you can put it in nuetral and push it, then check your alternator and battery.

sporkHSP
11-30-2003, 06:52 PM
it goes into neutral, and it acts normal in respect to the tranny (ie- wont even choke in R or D)...it just wont turn over, but all the power still works, so i dont think its the battery, i guess its the alternater.
Thanks for all your help guys

al010101
11-30-2003, 07:08 PM
take your battery to autozone, they'll test it for free, if it's good and has good power, i couldn't help past what i've said unless i was there in person...

Al