PDA

View Full Version : solenoids?

T's87lx
11-30-2003, 12:52 AM
i need to know every solenoid under the hood and what it controls, why i ask is because one is goin bad and i dont know which on it is, but sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, its like the car has pms or something, so if anyone knows all the solenoids under the hood, could u please tell me what they control, thanks

A20A1
11-30-2003, 03:05 AM
Well is it an A/C thing... or... what???
I'm not sure what Pauls shop manual has, hopefuly it includes the emission controlled A1 and A3 versions.

shepherd79
11-30-2003, 05:28 AM
unfortunatly, paul's manual for euro accords. they didn't have all the emission crap we have here.
i don't think anyone here will know all the solenoids. i don't even think honda knows them all.

Vinny
11-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Give us some symptoms and maybe we can help you narrow it down rather than diggin in books and listing a bunch of crap that doesn't have anything to do with the problems you may be having

T's87lx
11-30-2003, 10:30 AM
well when i drive for a while and come to a stop at a light or just let it idle for a couple minutes, it will loose vacuume and start idleing really low and sometimes it will die, i know its a solenoid becuase you can hear it click when it does this and if i let it idle like that (which i dont)it starts over heating but i think thats cause theres to much stress on the engine, its been doin this for a long time now ive just ignored it because it didnt do it as much as it does now, thanks for the help

Justin86
11-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Well it really help to get a repair manual. If you can get the Honda repair manual get it cause it has everything in it, but is also spendy. Don't get the Haynes cause it sucks, the Chiltons might be a little better but not sure, and the honda one has everything. Check to see if the ECU is throwing any codes.

88accordhatchdx
11-30-2003, 11:13 AM
I might as well ask my question about solenoids in this thread. Does anyone know where the solenoid for the driver's door is open idiot light is? It fails and the light almost never goes off and it drains my battery.:burn: I have a pic of the light I'm talking about if it will help.

Justin86
11-30-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 88accordhatchdx
I might as well ask my question about solenoids in this thread. Does anyone know where the solenoid for the driver's door is open idiot light is? It fails and the light almost never goes off and it drains my battery.:burn: I have a pic of the light I'm talking about if it will help.
Well first it is not a solenoid it is a sensor and the sensor is right next to where the door latch is. It is a little slide lever the hits the door when it closes.

88accordhatchdx
11-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Justin86
Well first it is not a solenoid it is a sensor and the sensor is right next to where the door latch is. It is a little slide lever the hits the door when it closes.
Thanks, the shop said it was a solenoid. So, am I going to have to pay them the $375 they want to fix it or what?

shepherd79
11-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 88accordhatchdx
Thanks, the shop said it was a solenoid. So, am I going to have to pay them the $375 they want to fix it or what?

take the screw driver and adjust it yourself. if that doesn't work, go to the junk yard and get one for $3 or less. and install it yourself.

Originally posted by T's87lx
well when i drive for a while and come to a stop at a light or just let it idle for a couple minutes, it will loose vacuume and start idleing really low and sometimes it will die, i know its a solenoid becuase you can hear it click when it does this and if i let it idle like that (which i dont)it starts over heating but i think thats cause theres to much stress on the engine, its been doin this for a long time now ive just ignored it because it didnt do it as much as it does now, thanks for the help

ok let's start from the top. if your have low idle or uneven idle it is most likely you have vacuum leak somewhere. check the vacuum lines for any leaks. you should hear them. second, your idle solenoid on the back of the carburator may be dead. it controls the idle after you let go of the gas pedal.
third, if your car overheating change the thermostat or check your fan switch. your car should no be over heating because it is idling ruff.

A20A1
11-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Sensor... Switch... I'd say remove the bulb for now until you find the short.

Justin86
11-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Well terry alos when the car has trouble idleing at low rpms is a sign that the EGR is going bad. One way to check is to remove the vacum hose going to the EGR and that will solve the idle prob. But you will probably not pass emission with it that way.

T's87lx
11-30-2003, 10:57 PM
well i dont think its the egr valve, because you can hear the solonoid click, but i will try and disconnect the vacumme line to the egr valve and see what that does

Justin86
11-30-2003, 11:12 PM
when my EGR went bad I solved my idle problems just by disconnection the vacum hose. But I would still recomed getting a Honda repair manual. I might be able to sent you the pages as soon as I figure out how to upload pics form the scanner.

T's87lx
12-01-2003, 12:01 AM
how much was the honda repair manual and where did u get it at, i have the chiltons manual and the haynes manual, they didnt say shit about solenoids except for the starter, also is the honda manual in detail becuase thats what i like

MattsAccord
12-01-2003, 12:07 AM
the honda manual has good detail. check ebay

Justin86
12-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Well it came with the car when I got it. There are about $50-100. check ebay you can sometime find one there and check at the dealer.

T's87lx
12-01-2003, 12:51 PM
well im guessing the publisher is helm, and the book is 1500 pages and its 59 thanks for the help

Justin86
12-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Yea I belive that is the same as the factory repair manual. As for the pages mine is not numbered but the thing is about 2in thick.

T's87lx
12-04-2003, 02:37 PM
well i looked at the ecu box took it out took it apart and i find out that there is no light, so i cant tell what codes if any that its throwing, the ecu board look perfectly fine apperance wise it is very clean and shiny, and the fuse isant blown so i would say that its not the ecu, but(always a but)when it starts to idle funny the switching sounds like its coming from the vac control box, so i thought it was the box went out to the junk yard and got another one but turns out that wasnt it either, so i disconnected the hose to the egr valve and it still does it, so that cant be it either,so my guess is that it would have to be a solenoid or maybe the ecu is bad or going bad becuase it only does it when i let it idle for a long time or if ive been driving for a while, anyways justin, could you send me something on solenoids and what they control since you figured out your scanner please, i would appreciate it, thanks

Justin86
12-05-2003, 06:51 PM
I'll give it a try. :)

T's87lx
12-07-2003, 01:54 AM
are all the solenoids in the vac control box, because if they are then im thinking its the ecu box, becuase i went to the junk yard and got another vac control box and it still does it, oh i found a list of the solenoids theres 12 according to my chiltons book, but i looked under the hood i found about 3 or 4 so, i think the rest are in the vac control box, so if they are could someone please tell me that help help a lot thanks

Justin86
12-07-2003, 03:48 PM
Well I haven't been home for two days some I'm starting to scan the pages. I will send then to your email. :)

Also can you send me your full email address.