PDA

View Full Version : Wont Start

jonzer77
11-30-2003, 12:58 PM
:wtf: I have no idea what to do now, my car sputtered and died on me the other day, it had done this once before but I just started the car back up, it took a while but it started again, and every once in a while the rpms would drop at a stop but that hadnt happened for a while, now it wont start, it tries to and sputters but wont fire up, I replaced the fuel filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil but still nothing, I even tried unhooking the fuel pump in the engine compartment and turned the key to the on position and a little squirt of gas came away and thats it.......any ideas why it wont start?

A20A1
11-30-2003, 01:12 PM
HUH? the fuel pump is in the gas tank...
You mean the fuel line...

When you first turn the key the pump primes the carb by squirting a little fuel up the line. After that the engine needs to be running for the pump to work. You maight have a problem with the:
- Starter Switch
- Loose battery or gorund wires
- Distributor
- Ignition fuel cut-off solenoid at the back of the carb.
- Fuel pump
- Vacuum leak

or maybe

- Primary booster venturi is totally loose

jonzer77
11-30-2003, 01:52 PM
I took the distributor cap off and there was red dust everywhere, I saw on here that thats a sign of your distributor going bad.

jonzer77
12-03-2003, 05:54 PM
:wtf: okay I have tested for spark and its getting spark, I installed new plugs and they look like they have fired by the black stuff on the tip, pulled a spark plug and restd it o metal and it sparks, sprayed starter fluid in the carb and still nothing, and you can smell the gas......when I pump the gas gas shoots in the carb so its not a problem with gas or spark, but it still wont start, it cranks but thats about it........I have no idea what it could be.....help anyone....thanks........:stupid:

jayp6969
12-03-2003, 06:39 PM
something has 2 be clogged....

oldsub86
12-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Is the distributor turning? We had this problem once on a Civic and it turned out to be the timing belt. It had lost some teeth and as a result was not turning. Since the cam is the drive for the distributor, and the cam was not turning, neither was the distributor.

A20A1
12-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Check this out while you are at it.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22648&highlight=stator+reluctor

cruznz
12-06-2003, 12:27 AM
checked your earth connections?

jonzer77
12-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Yeah the rotor turns, it has spark and fuel.....so I have no idea what it could be

jonzer77
12-12-2003, 03:33 PM
:stupid: okay I am an idiot, I was looking in the book and I looked at the wiring for a DOHC motor and my car is obviously not a DOHC, its a SOHC and when I put in the ignition control module it wouldnt fire up, changed the wires and gave it some gas and it fired right up......so if your car dies on you and acts like it ran out of gas......the ignition control module is a common cause from what I have been told, go to pick and pull....they are in the "pocket" section and pop that thing in and there ya go, if anyone has any questions about how to remove the ignition control module ask me, I am a pro now after doing it 10 damn times.....thanks everyone.