PDA

View Full Version : Now that I am trying to fix leaks - Two P/S Questions

DBMaster
11-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Had to take the splash shield off to verify that the radiator is leaking. So, I have left the thing off because I don't want to mess with putting all the little bolts back into it until I get my warranty replacement radiator.

Anyway, now I can see that with my new P/S rack I still have a leak in the P/S pump shaft seal. Local Honda mechanic says it's easy to replace and says I should do it myself. Anyone here ever do that? In the shop manual it just looks like you take out the center bolt in the pulley, remove the pulley, and replace the seal. Do you pry it out? Do you need anything special to put the new seal in?

Other question. I noticed while reading through the P/S section in the manual that the reservoir has a filter built in and you are supposed to replace it any time the system is drained or opened up. I would say that replacing the rack qualifies as "opening" the system. Has anyone else here replaced a reservoir for this reason. Majestic sells them for $43. Is it available aftermarket?

A lot of questions, I know. But, this is where the REAL 3g experts are, after all. :)

A20A1
11-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Any Honda PS reservoir should do... for $43, might as well get the billet aluminum ones for a civic or somehting. :D

AZmike
11-30-2003, 04:09 PM
My PS pump shaft seal went too, but I had tried enough junkyard pumps that I was tired of replacing pumps and had someone else actually install the seal.

It is probably a lot like the other dynamic seals in the car (that I have dealt with) and can be removed by piercing it and dragging it out with a pick or small screwdriver. The new seal should go in easily using a similar sized socket as a drift; just be sure the spring says on the inner lip.

I have replaced the rack and the pump shaft seal and haven't bothered with a PS filter replacement. 40k+ miles and everything is still working fine. I've never seen one afternarket.

DBMaster
11-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. I do think it is kind of cool that there actually is a P/S fluid filter in there. I'll bet it's just a plastic mesh like the insert in the master cylinder.

It is just kind of annoying that after having to check the P/S fluid weekly, I spent big bucks getting a new rack put in and now I am sill checking the fluid (a little less often) because it is leaking out the shaft seal. That's why my A/C compressor is all gunked up - from the fluid leaking onto it!

DBMaster
12-01-2003, 07:53 PM
There's a happy ending, I think. I got a seal at the Honda dealer today for $7. More than the $2.25 online price, but with $5 shipping it was a break even. It was pretty easy to replace. The pulley bolt is reverse threaded, BTW. You can use a 19mm socket and pretty much press the new seal all the way in by hand - no room to tap it in, anyway. Man, there was gunked up P/S fluid all over the A/C compressor and cross member. I guess it has been leaking slowly for a long time now - probably years.

The mechanic I use said that he has never had to replace a P/S reservoir/filter going all the way back to the 70's. He says he has never seen the filter clog. I guess it's just a pretty coarse plastic mesh.