PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Main Relay

DBMaster
06-27-2002, 06:47 AM
Well, I got the new main relay and installed it. What kind of masochist decided to put it where they did?! My hands are a freakin mess. That foam crap from the A/C duct turned my hands all balck and greasy and was a pain to clean off.

I relocated it after giving up on trying to get the thing positioned to put the bolt in. If there is a next time it is going to be a lot easier.

damackz
06-27-2002, 11:29 AM
hey how did u check to see that the main relay was gone and what were the symptoms? thankz:pimp:

DBMaster
06-27-2002, 01:44 PM
Actually, I realized what my problem was due to numerous posts on this site about the relay. This is primarily for FI models. when you turn the key on you should hear a click from under the dash when the check engine light comes on and then another click when it goes off. This is the main relay sending power to the ECU and energizing the fuel pump. The second click is the fuel pump turning off after the fuel system is pressurized.

I was not hearing the second click and the engine would not turn over (no fuel). I ordered a new relay and then took out the orginal and opened it up and cleaned it out with tuner cleaner spray. It worked fine until I got the new one, maybe it was even fixed, but for $37 I was not going to risk getting stuck somewhere.