PDA

View Full Version : whats so great about 3rd gens anyway?

bobsaccord
11-30-2003, 02:10 PM
ill tell u all whats so great about a 17 year old car...its reliable, it looks cool, you can modify almost anything on it....it will last you as long as u take care of it.....and its a HONDA

this is all i can think of, add some others about why a 17 year old car is so great in the first place...:smokin: :smokin: :werd:

A Dawg Jr
11-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Mines 15 years old

BMS
11-30-2003, 05:07 PM
My car is gonna have 300k on it by the end of January, and it still runs great. No major leaks, idles smooth, better gas mileage than most new cars, and it can cruise at 80 all day long. All fluids stay full, and it starts every time. Hasn't had anything break that shouldn't have, and anything that needs to be replaced can be taken care of in my driveway. Thank you Honda for building me a tank.

zero.counter
11-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Good little 4 banger I says!

al010101
11-30-2003, 06:35 PM
hmmm i dunno. rather be in a saab personally :p

MrBen
11-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Probably the fact that my car has been through hell and back and still wants to run. Every damn part on that thing with the exception of the engine and tranny has been replaced or fixed somehow. The engine just wants to keep going, even with almost 250,000 miles on it.

A20A1
11-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by al010101
hmmm i dunno. rather be in a saab personally :p

SAAB phhhh... Alfa baby!

3G, if looks could kill... there wouldn't be a 3geez board. :lol

Mike89Accordcom
12-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Yep still going strong. Going on 15 yearsold. Only 134K miles.

87AccordsterLx
12-01-2003, 01:34 PM
They look great when lowered with some aftermarket wheels. Some cars no matter what you do to them they still look like shit. The 3rd Gen Accord is just a really sexy car IMO.

I abuse the shit out of my engine because I know that it will keep taking it. Granted it has been rebuilt but it didn't need to be. That's what makes for a fun and reliable car.

Finally, it is REALLY easy to work on. That is a huge benifet as far as maintaince is concerned. Anyone can learn to work on one in no time.

Dibbs
12-01-2003, 02:15 PM
The Accord is considered a true gentleman's car in Japan. It's what smart sophisticated men w/ style choose for their mode of transportation.

This makes me wonder why the likes of Kroy and Jester own one. :flip:
j/p

Seriously, the Japanese are so big into status symbols. That's what the local engine importer told me about the accord. He's a Japanese immigrant.

POS carb
12-01-2003, 03:37 PM
98 hp keeps me alive

it's paid for
12-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Finally, it is REALLY easy to work on. That is a huge benifet as far as maintaince is concerned. Anyone can learn to work on one in no time.

Are you kidding?

Maybe my 2G is more different from a 3G than I thought.

. . . I'm having extreme difficulty working on my 2G . . .

. . . to be fair, it's important to consider the following:
Previous to my current engine repair, I have only done routine, moderate engine repairs - my experience is quite limited
I do not have the right tools
I do not have much patience
I'm not sure what I'm doing
I am mechanically spastic

I am quite confident the 3G's are easier to work on than the 2G's . . .

. . . I really hope so . . .

BMS
12-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Have you worked on other cars? Compared to other cars it's very...forgiving I guess. This engine can not only stand up to a lot of road abuse, but it can stand up to a lot of user stupidity.

it's paid for
12-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Have you worked on other cars? Yeah, but only the basics - brake pads, fluid changes, alternators, water pumps, et cetera . . . this is the first time I've taken a head off a car . . . compared to anything else I've ever done, it's gigantic in magnitude and complexity . . . I began snipping the vacuum lines (oops) . . . I also removed all of my a/c system up to the firewall . . . please keep in mind, my 2G is a different engine (duh) and the exhaust manifold is directly below the intake manifold . . . makes for lots of room between the engine and the radiator, but sure is difficult to remove the manifolds while the head is still in the car . . .

. . . I'm going to fix the car because I literally have no choice . . . hopefully, I'll be starting my new job soon and I'll have to have this thing running . . . I've been out of work for almost two years now and my new job will require I come home every weekend or two . . . that's a 360 mile trip . . . each way . . . I bought this car because the government "gave" me a tax rebate check (?) for $500 - that's what I paid for this car . . . I have a love/hate relationship with this car . . . I love driving it . . . I hate working on it . . .

. . . honestly, if I was in my previous financial position, I'd never have worked on a car ever again . . . I didn't do any car maintenance for about 15 years . . . then financial disaster struck and I found myself doing my own oil changes again - $8 compared to $20 was great and then I started doing other stuff . . . tune ups, checking belts, flushing radiators, blah, blah, blah . . . I actually began enjoying working on cars again and thought I could fix my Honda . . . at this point, I'm trying to remove the head for a valve job . . . I know it's stupid, but I don't have enough for the rings, so doing the head right now will just have to do . . . yeah, I alreay cut the timing belt . . . I've got to continue . . .

. . . but, right now, I'm "stuck" . . . I'm having difficulty removing the crankshaft pulley bolt . . . also stuck getting the head off . . .

. . . tomorrow is another day & I don't have any choice . . . "whatever it takes" is my new motto and I will remove the head and crank pulley tomorrow . . . and that's all there is to it . . .

. . . hopefully, when this engine repair phase is "done", I'll have a more reliable car . . . when it's time to do the rings, this engine is coming out . . . and there's no doubt about that whatsoever . . . two years ago I'd laughed if you told me I'd be searching the classifieds for a used cherry picker . . .

. . . but, that's how things are . . .

. . . and thank God, things aren't worse . . .

. . . and thank you all for your helpful advice, suggestions & most importantly your enthusiastic encouragement - I can't tell you how much that means to me - I feel so stupid, and I want to give up but you guys tell me to keep going, that I can do it . . . that's great . . .

. . . happy Honda-ing . . .

IPF

Bloodlust
12-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Mine's going on 15 years old, with about 154k miles on it and still running strong.

Goldfinger89
12-02-2003, 11:27 AM
14 years old and 270,000 miles. 35 miles to a gallon and starts every time. Not the best looking car in the world, but it lets me keep the Lexus parked in the garage all winter!

Not like a rock
12-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Flip up lights.

And it begs to be lowered.