PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny Problem?

Dibbs
12-01-2003, 06:27 AM
I've got a automatic tranny problem. It seems unless I floor the accelerator on takeoff my tranny will not shift out of low gear. If I take off at a steady pace, the RPMs will go straight to redline w/o shifting. I'm being optimistic and hoping it's the TV cable but it looks like I'm gonna have to get a new tranny or just get the 5 speed swap but I didn't want to do that until I switched motors.

k-roy
12-01-2003, 07:08 AM
Not a whole lot you can do besides the cable and check the fluid. I heard its not a good idea to change the fluid on a tranny that is starting to go. So just top it off and try messing with that cable. You can do a pressire check to help diagnose the problem. You can get that from Paul's manual.

Good luck with the 5 speed swap, it makes a big differance.

Vinny
12-01-2003, 07:40 AM
hopefully it's just low on fluid and not getting enough pressure to shift. If not its going to probably be internally dicked, bad modulator valve or governor. You might try some lucas ATF as a last resort or check with chriskatana he has 2 auto trannys. Maybe you can work something out with him, I think he's not oo far from me, I can always hold onto it for ya until you take your Florida trip

Dibbs
12-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I put fluid at the proper level this weekend and that's when it started. I've got a small leak from the front seal so I usually have to put a quart in about every month. Is it possible that I put too much fluid in. I checked the stick and it showed full but I have been fooled before.