PDA

View Full Version : Omfg No Idle In Cold Weather

Andibogard
12-01-2003, 08:40 AM
Ok, before anyone gets on my ass about searching, i couldn't find an answer to my ENTIRE question. So here's the deal, my car has always dieseled when i turned it out, and then a while back i got my clutch replaced, and nothing was right since. My car dieseled even more than before, and my RPMS in neutral started to jump around all the time, sometimes even causing my car to stall. My grandfather and I tried adjusting the idle a week or two ago, and he said that my throttle arm wasn't returning to the right position because the spring had lost all of it's tension. The dieseling was annoying at the most, so i could deal with it, and the crazy RPM jumping actually stopped when it started to get cold and for a while my car was idling at about 1k. But as it has gotten colder... it won't idle at all, it cuts off in neutral no matter what.Question one, how much and how difficult is it to replace that spring. Question two, wtf is wrong with my car and how do fix it, it's going to kill me one day, its going to cut off on an exit ramp or something and im gonna lose power steering and go over the guard rail or something lol. Thansk guys:werd:

shepherd79
12-01-2003, 10:03 AM
well, i think your carburator is shut. i think you need a hole new carb, or at least rebuild one.
check your vacuum lines for any cracks or leaks.

A20A1
12-01-2003, 10:29 AM
You can add an exterior spring... but it might be tough finding a spot to hook it up. I suggest hooking the spring to the right side of the carb... I believe there is enough room to put one there.

Just make sure it's on the primary throttle shaft.

But here is what I think your situation is.

When the car is warm the idle diaphragm on the left side of the carb needs vacuum in order to keep it from pressing on the trottle linkage and raising the idle. If that diaphragm has a leak then the idle will raise more then it should... and increased idle means even less vacuum so the idle diaphragm pushes even more on the throttle linkage. Then you shut your car off when you are reving high and you get the diesel.

If you car isn't reving high when you shut it off then it might not be a vacuum leak tot he idle diaphragm.

Now that its cold, the idle diaphragm is having less of an effect.

You might just have too rich a mix or too much ignition advance.

As temporary solution I normally turnned my car off in gear to keep the RPMs nice and low when I shut off the car.

But i agree with shepherd... check for vacuum leaks.

my86dx4dr
12-02-2003, 04:15 AM
ok, YOUR NOT GONNA DIE, well ya shouldnt anyway!, i`l bet its a vacuum leak, cuz it sounds like the same thang i went threw with a nissan pickup, does it die when you stop quickly at a light? is it hard to keep it running while stopped? it sounds like a vacuum line is undone, till you fix it you`l just have to keep 1 foot on the gas and brake at once, (softly for gas) and the other on clutch(while stopped), if you put it in neutrul keep it idaling by tapping the gas every few sec`s just my 0.02$

POS carb
12-04-2003, 10:35 AM
vacuum leaks cause dieseling and poor idle, raise the idle speed so the car won't shut off and start hunting it down with some carb or TB cleaner spray

k-roy
12-04-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Andibogard
it's going to kill me one day, its going to cut off on an exit ramp or something and im gonna lose power steering and go over the guard rail or something lol.

Powersteering is the most overrated option on a 3G. I got rid of mine years ago, it just takes a little bit of arm strength to evercome.

ChaseR
12-21-2003, 10:32 AM
how much do you actually gain from taking it out? the A/C to? I mean is it really noticable?

k-roy
12-21-2003, 10:39 AM
The AC is not really noticable in power when it is removed, it shaves a good 50 pounds. My condensor and compressor were screwed. The lack of PS would probably only piss you off at 5mph and below. So parking can be a pain but I don't care. Removing the PS is maybe 1-2 hp.
So between removing Vacuum lines, cruise, a/c, cat, p/s, egr and installing an intake I am guessing I have added a good strong 10-12HP. The main thing is responsiveness due to less vacuum and more air flowing through. Oh yea, some fine tuning of the carb too.