PDA

View Full Version : brakes problem..

woode
12-01-2003, 05:05 PM
hi, im wondering if any of you have had this problem or know what it could be..

you see.. my brakes work for about 15 seconds and ihave to keep pushing in until there all the way in and then my car starts moving .. lol

air in the lines ?

thx

k-roy
12-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by woode

air in the lines ?

Sounds like it. The rubber lines between the firewall and calipers may need to be replaced as well. When they get old they tend to flex more before they bust.

woode
12-01-2003, 05:11 PM
thanks,
im not a car genious or anythin, so i wasnt sure

shepherd79
12-01-2003, 06:19 PM
actually it is the master cylinder problem. my friend had the same problem on her 2gen teg.

k-roy
12-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
actually it is the master cylinder problem. my friend had the same problem on her 2gen teg.

I was just thinking the same thing. Bleeding the brakes might work first. Its free so its worth a shot.

MrBen
12-01-2003, 07:08 PM
When my old brake lines got old, they didn't flex. They just burst. One side, then the other a few weeks later. Since you live right by me, I doubt it's warm weather playing a role in it, so unless you have a brake line leak somewhere or recently worked on your brakes, or your brakes are down to little pad, your master cylinder is probably on its way out.

woode
12-01-2003, 09:09 PM
its not the master cyl cuz that just got replaced bout a month ago.. same w/ brakes themselves

shepherd79
12-02-2003, 04:29 AM
it doesn't matter if the master cylinder is new. they can be defective.
if you have to pump your brakes with engine running than your brakes need bleeding.
if your brake pedal just goes to the floor and it doesn't matter how much you pump, well it is the master cylinder.

Dibbs
12-02-2003, 05:38 AM
Since your master cylinder is relatively new, I'd try bleeding the brakes. You can go to a brake shop and ask them to power bleed your brakes. It souldn't cost more than $15-20.