PDA

View Full Version : Favorite New Tool

it's paid for
12-01-2003, 08:23 PM
I don't know what I'd do without this light . . . I use it while I'm doing everything . . . amazing . . . probably the best $9.47 I've ever spent in my life (WalMart) . . . http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/shop_light_02.jpg

erics86dx
12-01-2003, 08:33 PM
yeah it sucks when you want to do something in the dark and you have to put it off till the next day

blazin3gen
12-01-2003, 08:34 PM
ha i have one exactly like that but its orange :D awesome man those lights are a must

IWLSF
12-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Yeah I remember those days...staying up until 2 AM trying to crank out my last mod I just HAD to finish....

it's paid for
12-01-2003, 09:02 PM
. . . so . . . this makes me think . . . what are the other "must have" tools in your shop?

I can think of several I use a lot - other than the obvious "basic tool set":

5 gallon can w/easy pour spout - screw on cap (for used engine oil - I recycle)
rags
bathroom towells (for draping over my fenders)
digital camera
envelopes (I label them and put my fasteners in them - I can usually figure out what the big parts are & where they go - I use packing tape to label large parts, wiring & hoses & which end is which)
disposable latext gloves
CD player (w/plenty o ZZ Top, Skynyrd & AC/DC)
5 gallon can (for used radiator fluid - I keep my 50/50 mix in a used coolant container - clearly marked)
creeper
jack stands
ramps
rubber mallet
funnells (sp?)
metric/english metal ruler

. . . gee, that list could go on & on forever . . .

. . . someday, I'll have a cherry picker, engine stand, air compressor & complete tool set . . .

MattsAccord
12-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Simple- Hammer, duct tape. If it wont come apart use the hammer, if it wont go back together use the duct tape.

woode
12-01-2003, 09:54 PM
i have an orange one!

k-roy
12-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Droplights are cool. But here is my favorite tool
http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/vise.jpg
Itty bitty Vise-Grip, perfect for all those 10mm bolts.

MrBen
12-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Yeah that droplight is nice, I usually hang it from the hood prop thing (at night). My favorite tools are the screwdrivers and the 10mm socket.

blazin3gen
12-01-2003, 10:45 PM
hellz yes 10mm socket

k-roy
12-01-2003, 10:46 PM
I think you can take apart half the damn car with a 10mm socket.

blazin3gen
12-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by kroy

lol yea i dont doubt it

deadlight
12-01-2003, 11:50 PM
10mm everywhere, the only socket I've had to buy for this car was a 32 for removing the halfshafts.

BMS
12-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by 86 accord in C.P.
Simple- Hammer, duct tape. If it wont come apart use the hammer, if it wont go back together use the duct tape.

A true 3g mechanic. My philosophy exactly.

BMS
12-02-2003, 12:00 AM

No kidding, and the only one that's missing from my set is the damn 10mm! It just got up and left. It's probably trapped on my cross-member or something...

k-roy
12-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by BMS
No kidding, and the only one that's missing from my set is the damn 10mm! It just got up and left. It's probably trapped on my cross-member or something...

Thats funny. My 10mm wrench was stuck between the block and the engine in another vehicle for a year.

Dibbs
12-02-2003, 04:50 AM
Thats funny. My 10mm wrench was stuck between the block and the engine in another vehicle for a year.

Yeah I can't wait to see how many 10mm sockets/tools fall out of my engine bay when I replace my engine this spring. :lol

I could not LIVE without these tools.

Duckbill Pliers
http://store2.yimg.com/I/perfectproductsonline_1768_3320632

The blessed Universal Joint Socket
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/405000-405999/405026_21.jpg

it's paid for
12-02-2003, 06:50 AM
What's with the duckbill pliers? I've never even heard of such a thing . . . my guess . . . based on what I've been doing lately, is that they might help in removing hoses?

?

Dustin Imports
12-02-2003, 07:04 AM
light is great..but blinding to me at night..

its always either to much light or not enough..and dam the shadows:smokin:

Sabz5150
12-02-2003, 07:22 AM
My must-have tools:

Breaker bar
Torque wrench
Sledgehammer
Pickle forks
Dremel
Flare wrenches (doing brake work so an ABSOLUTE must)

Dibbs
12-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by it's paid for
What's with the duckbill pliers? I've never even heard of such a thing . . . my guess . . . based on what I've been doing lately, is that they might help in removing hoses?

?

Right. They work wonders at removing those squeeze clamps on hoses. They also do a real good job of breaking loose old hoses that are stuck in place. Just clamp lightly and rotate back & forth until the hose breaks free, then pull off. It's a good trick to use on plastic nipples to keep them from breaking off.

Dustin Imports
12-02-2003, 07:38 AM
jb weld! ductape!

it's paid for
12-02-2003, 02:22 PM
. . . this almost has the potential to be a sticky thread . . .

. . . what other tools are especially useful for working on 3G's?

. . . I can't believe somebody hasn't mentioned one of the most essential of all tools . . . the shop calendar . . . I'd like this one for Christmas (that was a hint) . . .

http://www.superior-calendars.com/exec/images/big/1517.jpg

danronian
12-02-2003, 08:53 PM
I have a light w/a metal housing and a lamp bulb. The thing gets so hot that you get a blister if the metal hits you. It makes me hate working on the car if it isntl light out. I want to get one of those type of lights so I stop burning myself. Most valuable tool for working on anything: $99 craftsman 250pc. socket/wrench set.

RustyHo88
12-03-2003, 03:13 AM
Dont forget....
Wire Brush (battery terminals)
full flathead/phllips,large/small screwdriver set
needlenose vice grip pliers
wire strippers and wire connectors
cheater pipe
tourque wrench
WD-40, liquid wrench, never seize
and of course... rust away :D

k-roy
12-03-2003, 04:57 AM
PB Blaster Penetrating (hehe) catalyst.
This stuff rocks on rusted bolts.
http://www.pbblaster.com/store/images/PBCatalyst.gif

These next two are a must in my toolbox. The first is a snake with a magnet on the end. I am a dolt who likes to brop bolts in the engine bay. The second are bolt extractors from Sears. They have spiriled sharp edges on the inside that cut into stripped bolts. Probably the best $20 I ever spent. THere are 5 in the set.

http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/tools.jpg

Here is my toolbox list:
1/4 inch, 3/8 inch and 1/2 drive Socket sets with extensions and universal joints. Metric only in the main box, I have a full metric/standard set.
Screwdrivers.
Mini and big Vise Grips.
Open/Boxed end wrench set, Metric
Multiple sized hey keyset (like a pocketknife)
Duct Tape Electrical Tape
JB Weld
Small and Large Robo Grips
Pliars
Measuring Tape
Battery Terminal Cleaner
Small pry bar aka "Blackie"
Box Cutter knife (in case I need to hop on a plane)
File
RTV Sealant
Silocone Sealant
Thread Loc
Hammer

I have a lot more tools but that is what is in my main toolbox. It is kinda small, only about 20 inches by 6 inches by 6 inches. The bitch is heavy!

Dibbs
12-03-2003, 05:00 AM
Dude, PB Blaster is IT! That stuff loosened 15 yeard old exhaust bolts in less than 2 a minute. Screw wd-40, that's all I will ever use to loosen parts.

Vinny
12-03-2003, 06:33 AM
tool
Pronunciation: 'tül
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English tOl; akin to Old English tawian to prepare for use -- more at TAW
Date: before 12th century
1 a : a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task b (1) : the cutting or shaping part in a machine or machine tool (2) : a machine for shaping metal : MACHINE TOOL
2 a : something (as an instrument or apparatus) used in performing an operation or necessary in the practice of a vocation or profession <a scholar's books are his tools> b : a means to an end <a book's cover can be a marketing tool> c often vulgar : PENIS
3 : one that is used or manipulated by another
4 plural : natural ability <has all the tools>

http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/00_00026.JPG

Kroy ya know I'm just fuckin with ya, but I couldn't resist

k-roy
12-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Hell yea. That was one of the happiest moments in my life!

I need more tools. Power tools, I hate pulling muscles. And a lift, yea that would be hella cool.