PDA

View Full Version : suggestions...?

Johnny b.
12-02-2003, 11:06 AM
hey guys iv been reading a lot of search post but im just curios on your oppinions ...so iv got some qwestions for everyone..in your opinion..1 what mechanical parts should one check first after buying a 3gee? 2. what is the most economical and best way to lower ones car for daily driver? 3 what size wheel and tires work best with a drop and daily driving?and last..what is the best place /company to buy parts for our cars ..performance or maintenance...also those of you with cars actually lowered..please state your honest opinions on the ride and handling of your cars..rubbing tires ,rough ride ect. thanx and sorry for the long post i just want to do things right..JB

Dibbs
12-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Best place to buy anything for our cars that is not sold at autozone.

Majestic Honda (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/)

For suspension, you want to talk to Jim. You should probably ask the Mods to move this to the Wheel, Tires & Suspension section. You'll probably get better responses there.

NXRacer
12-02-2003, 11:25 AM
1) always good to check basic parts. If it runs well just look for the basic signs like oil anywhere etc. there's nothing really major to look at. Theres a reason why many members have cars with 250K miles on them and they're still running strong.

2) suspension questions like yours have been asked MANY MANY times. The basic answer is how much do you care about ride quality? Do you want a smooth as possible or do you just want to lower it? Coilovers are CHEAP but they ride like shit. I have heat shrunk springs on mine and the ride isnt too bad (although i wouldnt suggest that route). If you dont really care, just chop your springs. Its free and it rides better then coilovers (IMO). The die hard suspension guys will tell you to get revalved struts and new springs. That would be great in a perfect world, but most of us dont live there.

3) the wheel combo that seems to work the best for a lot of people are 16" wheels with 205/45/16's. I had those on my car and i was pretty happy.

if you search you'll come up with a lot of info.

Vinny
12-02-2003, 11:41 AM
It should probably go in general actually since it covers almost all the bases.

1st things to check in my opinion are normal everyday things. Fluids make sure everything is topped off as far as oil, tranny, radiator and such , check your axles make sure the cv boots aren't torn. Check all your belts and hoses. I do a complete tuneup on any used car I get. Plugs, wires, fuel and air filter, pcv valve. I just like to know when things are due change mileage wise so if I do them when I get the car I know when i need to look at replacing them again.

2. If you want to lower your car the right way its not cheap. You'll need better struts, new springs and if you go lower than 2" you'll need a camber kit. Theres alot of different lowering springs out there, alot of it depends on how low you want to go and what you have to spend. I had Koni struts in the front and Tokico's in the rear on my sedan with Suspension tech springs. The handling was excellent butbecause the shocks are so stiff it didn't have the ride I wanted. I'm going with H&R's next, much softer

3. Wheels you can go from 14-18". Look for a 40mm offset unless you go 18's then you need a 45mm offset. Personalyy the biggest I would go is 16's. Any bigger an to me theres just not enough tire there
Tires as quoted by Jim
15"
195-55-15
205-50-15

16"
205/45-16
215/40-16* *requires 45mm offset
225/45-16* *requires 45mm offset

205/40-17

215/35-18* *requires 45mm offset

4. As Dibbs said Majestic honda is the best place to get parts. Aftermarket performance parts are kinda scarce for the 3rd gen's. They are out there but not alot. NOPI online has some and there are a few other places

Johnny b.
12-03-2003, 08:51 AM
thanx for the advice guys..sorry if i posted the questions in the rong place

Dibbs
12-03-2003, 08:54 AM
It's alright, NX let you off easy THIS time. Next time he won't be so nice :D