PDA

View Full Version : How Much Oil? Royal Purple?

kevins89lxi
05-01-2002, 08:07 PM
I was wondering how much quarts of oil does our cars take? Three or Four Quarts?
Also has anyone used Royal Purple motor oil?
And what did you think about it?
Thanks

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
05-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Just under 4... maybe 4 with the oil filter.

MoonScryer
05-02-2002, 04:31 AM
3.5 quarts. Any more and it's a waste/burns off.

88turboaccord
05-02-2002, 09:16 AM
It takes 10 quarts, use what you need, and send the rest my way...:D

Don87LX
05-02-2002, 12:19 PM
My original 87 user manual says 3.7 quarts with oil filter. nut it would still be VERY smart to put the oil in the car, let is sit for a bit and then chek to see if it is full.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
05-03-2002, 12:15 AM
I have never used Royal Purple Oil but it would be interesting to see if the oil is "Purple." I have used Kendal Motor Oil and that stuff is blueish green. The first time I saw that stuff I thought it was coolant.

If you have a high mileage car and don't have any oil leaks, try a synthetic oil like Castrol Syntec or Mobil One. If you're doing a tranny fluid flush and have a manual transmission, drain that regular oil and put in some synthetic. At least on my car, I've found it shifted a lot smoother and cured some of the shifting problems I had (couldn't shift out of fifth).

Claude

Don87LX
05-03-2002, 04:32 AM
Synthetic is nice but I just have trouble paying 4.50 a quart for the stuff. If I had a manual Xmission then that would be full of synthetic but I think I still might use normal oil in my engine. However I am consiering the switch to synthetic in my motor. Is it true once you switch to synthetic you can never us normal oil again?

89LXi
05-03-2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Don87LX
Is it true once you switch to synthetic you can never us normal oil again?

No. And synthetics do not cause leaks. Synthetics flow more easily than dino oil and will get through places that dino oil can't. If you're not leaking now, chances are very good that you won't leak when you switch to synthetic.

87accordlxph
05-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Just to answer your question about Royal Purple.

I believe that it's used on Turbo/Supercharged engines
just like Redline is used for.

I use simple All climate Valvoline in mine.
No point wasting money on racing motor oil.
Only if your motor is beefed up then go for those
that I mentioned above.

But.. hey that's just honest opion.

-Mike

guaynabo89
05-03-2002, 06:13 PM
It takes 10 quarts, use what you need, and send the rest my way... :lol :D :lol

dosh8er
05-04-2002, 12:23 PM
For all of you who do not work at a quick lube (or keep up on oil), here are some facts about oil.

Synthetic is just that, each molecule of the 'oil' is created in a lab. The primary advantage to synthetic is . That's a very good thing, since break down is part of the reason why we change our oil. (and the fact that worn parts of the engine are floating around in the oil, along with the nasty properties of broken down oil that shorten the life of the engine)

But, like 89LXi said, synthetic oils don't leak, it's the synthetic oil's wonderful molecular properties (because it's good shit) that make it want to seap out of those leaky gaskets.

The quick lube I work at features Quaker State oil (hold your comments about ol' QS for another topic, they've come a long way), and Quaker has come out with a high milage motor oil. I'm not exactly sure what's all in it, but I do know that it is either synthetic or is a synthetic/conventional blend. Either way, I've seen a friend of mine's vehicle in particular go from using several quarts every gas fill-up, to a quart every a couple every month (if you'd like to know what type of car/engine, it's a mid-90's Pontiac 3100 series motor. BAD engine! evil! stay away from them at all costs!).
I've been thinking about trying out this oil, but it's specific to Quaker State, and I've been running only Castrol. (there are good reasons to stay with a specific brand of oil, since each brand has different detergents, which, when mixed, can break each other down, meaning time for a new oil change. There's a big discussion about that which I won't breach here.) I would suggest this oil to any of you 3geezers because I believe it might do some good for the age of our motors. I'll wait though, I want some of the other brands to come out with a similar grade.

I've been running Quaker State's 10w30 Synthetic oil in my transmission.. [b]WHAT A BEAUTIFUL THING! I've had really good luck with that stuff, smooth shifting. I think I prolonged my inevitable using that stuff. I'd suggest synthetic oil for anyone's manual trans as well!

Quantity? I run about 4 qts. It depends on the motor. Even if one A20A3 engine (my 3g) uses 4, another w/ the exact same engine and everything, might be different. Not all engines are equal. (oil pans and other parts are not exactly same size)

Do what ever looks good on the dipstick! (granted, start somewhere reasonable, like what everyone has been saying, 3.5 to 4 quarts.) Work your way up, until you find that 'sweet spot'. Just don't overfill, that's very bad. But it is just as bad to overfill, so use caution. Top hole on the end of the dipstick is full. (~4 qts. for me with filter change)

</professional>

Well, if anyone wants to flame me, mofo, I'm ready! :flip: But I'm pretty confident that if you follow the gist of everyone's suggestions, you'll be in the ballpark.