PDA

View Full Version : Help! Accord broke down. :-(

Dennis
12-03-2003, 06:25 AM
I was driving down the road with cruise on and all of a sudden my speedo went up to like 80-100mph but my car was slowing down. I pulled over and then I tried putting it in park and it wouldn't go into park, it would grind. So I turned the car off, and then put it in park. Even when it's in drive, reverse or whatever it doesn't move when I hit the gas but the speedo goes up depending on how hard I hit the gas. I've asked a few people and the previous owner of the car and they all said different things ranging from cv joints to axle to transmission. I just bought the car 3 days ago and it was only the second time I was driving it. The guy said he just got new cv joints put on the car in May. Anyone know what that could be? Thanks for the help! sadwave:

Vinny
12-03-2003, 06:37 AM
sounds like you have no flow of fluid in the tranny, whether its out of fluid or the pumps shot or whatever. If it doesn't move in any gear and the rpms go up, my guess is your tranny is DEAD

Edit-by gearI mean d3,d4, ect

chriskatana
12-03-2003, 06:41 AM
something broke, axle or transmission internals, i would look at the axles first, can you push the car when it's in park?
jack it up one side at a time and see if the tire off the ground spins freely, the tire that spins, either has the broken axle or that side of the tranny is fubar.

Dennis
12-03-2003, 07:09 AM
Yeah the car moves because they towed it to my house last night... but i don't know if it moves in park, haven't checked... if it does whats that mean?

Dennis
12-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Vinny
sounds like you have no flow of fluid in the tranny, whether its out of fluid or the pumps shot or whatever. If it doesn't move in any gear and the rpms go up, my guess is your tranny is DEAD

My car is an automatic, if you didn't know, I put it in drive and the rpms go up and so does the speedo when I hit the gas but the car doesnt move

sporkHSP
12-03-2003, 08:21 AM
my friend broke the auto tranny in his moms Beamer (neutral drops are fun!), and it did much the same thing. my guess would be the Tranny, especially if the gears were grinding when u tried to put it in park.

...but im just a stupid teenager.

DaveC
12-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Sounds like your tranny cable snapped. Its located on the left hand side of the engine near the trans

danronian
12-03-2003, 10:09 PM
I remember that is what the new VW golf did after a stupid-ass 7Krpm neutral slam. But it didnt grind in park, all the other gears though.

Dennis
12-05-2003, 06:26 AM
the axle they put on it in may was to short and it slipped out... getting fixed for free.. it'll take 5 days from today till tuesday. :-(

A20A1
12-05-2003, 11:43 AM
if the trans cable snapped the speedo wouldn't work... the trans is slipping so all the power goes straight to the speedo cable instead of the wheels making the speedo shoot to 100 mph and the car slow down.

cruznz
12-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Dennis
the axle they put on it in may was to short and it slipped out... getting fixed for free.. it'll take 5 days from today till tuesday. :-(

5 days!!!!!!!....hell,it only takes a half hour to change axle,...do they have to get 1 from oversea's or something?

Dennis
12-08-2003, 06:13 AM
Nah it's hard finding someone to bring my car 30 miles to get it fixed for free so thats why it'll take so long. the car is still not in the shop and it's monday... hopefully one of my moms friends will come out to my house and pick it up today... HOPEFULLY!!!