PDA

View Full Version : HU removal

89accord_lxi_coupe
12-03-2003, 09:01 AM
ok, what i have now is a sony POS HU. a friend of mine is willing to give me his Kenwood HU, it's a definite upgrade from what i have. i have been told that it's not necessary to remove any of the dash the remove and replace the HU. yes it does have a wire harness kit, otherwise i wouldn't have the sony in it. from what i read in another post, you remove the ashtray and another piece holding it in. then you unhook the wires from the rear of the HU and slide it out. have i got it so far? when i went to look in behind the center console and my HU it was difficult to maneuver so i could see well. is that just something i will have to put up with to get this done? if i missed any steps or you have a quicker and more efficient suggestion, let me know. TIA :wave:

Vinny
12-03-2003, 09:16 AM
heres everything ya need to know with picturesinstallDR.com (http://installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/PDF/466021.pdf) Its in PDF format so it may be slow to load.

89accord_lxi_coupe
12-03-2003, 01:04 PM
thanks for linking that, but i'm not removing a stock deck. i'm taking out an aftermarket sony HU. will i just basically have to disconnect the cables and pull it out?? that does give me an idea what all will be involved, but not how i actually unhook it. i hope i'm making sense.

Vinny
12-03-2003, 01:15 PM
SOMETHING is holding the radio in, most aftermarket head units have a mounting sleeve that they slide into. They usually slide in and lock into place to secure it. It may need some sort of key to unlock the radio from the sleeve. I'd work on sliding the HU out first. once you get it unlocked from the sleeve you should be able to pull it out and disconnect the harness. If not then you may have to reach in from behind to disconnect it

BMS
12-03-2003, 01:20 PM
I had to reach in from behind on mine, the stock harness wasn't long enough to reach the back of my new deck while outside.

MrBen
12-03-2003, 01:55 PM
You'll probably have to use a flathead screwdriver and pry it out. There are little fins on Sony's that lock the unit in. You have to find them and depress them. Be careful not to booger up your dash around it while removing it.

blazin3gen
12-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
You'll probably have to use a flathead screwdriver and pry it out. There are little fins on Sony's that lock the unit in. You have to find them and depress them. Be careful not to booger up your dash around it while removing it.

:werd: there is like two clips holding it in place to the left of the deck and to the right of the deck with a flat head u can pry it out