PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer cable screws itself

AZmike
12-04-2003, 03:11 AM
I installed a new speedometer cable about two weeks ago in hopes of stopping the low-speed wobble the car's had since I got it. It worked ok for the first two weeks. Now some bushing about 2 inches inside the cable from the speedometer end has become small enough that the the turning of the spiral-wound cable spins through it as it it had been tapped and pushes itself out of the gauge and pops the cable housing off the transmission.

Has anyone else had somethng like this happen? There's nothing rough inside the housing catching, it's just a little too small. I've tried grease and silicone lube and neither helped. Any ideas? I'm planning to reinstall my old cable as soon as I get a chance so my speedometer and odomeer will work again. Could the part just be bad? Do Honda dealers have any sort of return policy?

Thanks for any suggestions.

shepherd79
12-04-2003, 05:27 AM
did you use special crimp to hold the cable inside the speed sensor.

AZmike
12-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Yes, the little clip was in the groove. The problem is the bushing grips the cable well enough to push it out the other end of the housing as it spins. As soon as the car moves far enough to spin the cable maybe 5-10 times (less than 70 feet) the cable has spun enough times to push everything apart.

shepherd79
12-04-2003, 08:40 AM
i think your cable is not all the way in.
you have to align that little pin hole and stick it all the way in, then use that clip to secure.