PDA

View Full Version : Is it the Tranny?

DenverLXI
12-04-2003, 05:59 PM
I've just officially become a part of the 3geez community and I'm desperately in need of some help. I've heard variations of my problem but nothing exact to what's happening.

The car shakes when I try to accelerate like a normal person. If I'm idling at a stop light and try to go, it will shake & the RPMs with go way up to like 4000 before switching gears and letting me go. (automatic). I can only somewhat solve this problem by getting off the line like a turtle by slowly pressing my foot to the gas and gradually picking up speed. Shifting from 1st to second is little hard also, & it shifts into from 3-4 late. I've recently changed spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, & primary oxygen sensor. I took the car to Aamco, since I obviously have a slipping problem in my tranny, but they want to charge me close to $2000 to rebuild it.

Any and every suggestion will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose something that I has so much obvious potential.

jayp6969
12-04-2003, 06:00 PM
sounds like it man

hkplayer
12-04-2003, 06:58 PM
The late shift from 3-4 is common for our auto trannies as they get old - many others from this board have shared that fact. The hard shifting - depending on how hard it really is can mean that the tranny is going. Mine is somewhat hard, but not bad enough for a tranny replacement yet. Perhaps the previous owner(s) did not change the tranny fluid ever causing some grief for the tranny now.

If you are familiar with junkyards, find one and locate a tranny and see if you can replace your current one. I have never had to do it but in due time perhaps. Many peeps will be able to help you here. You are right though, our cars have lots of potential but keep in mind - they are relatively old and for some that don't know as much with cars (including myself) it can be a financial and emotional burden.