PDA

View Full Version : Rust!!

Dallas&SarahsAccord
12-05-2003, 12:04 AM
I have an 86 accord lx, i bought it about 2 months ago and did not notice that the bottom of the body is rusted out. There isnt even a place to put the jack. The jack goes through the rust. Is there any way of fixing this horrible rust problem? The rest of my car looks brand new, i busted a strut today and had to pay 200 bucks to get it towed, things just keep goin wrong like that. But any way to fix my rust problem?:confused:

shepherd79
12-05-2003, 04:15 AM
the only way to fix the rust problem is to rut it out and weld a new piece.

L3G10N
12-05-2003, 04:16 AM
if you have the money, it's possible to fix anything.

k-roy
12-05-2003, 05:10 AM
That sounds scary as hell. I would find a junker with a strait rust free body. Get it without a drivetrain or interior. Then have fun swapping over everything.

mike king
12-05-2003, 07:16 AM
You could put the jeck on fames or some where strong enough places,your strut broke in half or what?!sound the car is unsafe to drive the orignal owner shoud junk it instead of selling it.

Dallas&SarahsAccord
12-05-2003, 09:23 AM
when i bought the car, the rust did not look that bad but then it just started coming apart. The strut broke in half and possibly the a frame split as well. I havent had much time since last night to really look it over. I have another issue though and thats the gas tank has no ventilation in the line. The kid mustve put a diffrent line in cuz theres bondo and fiberglass when you pop the tank cover. When i get gas, the gas ends up coming back out most of the time or it shuts off the gas pump every 10 seconds or so. Any idea how to fix this problem as well. I know i bought a lemon.

k-roy
12-05-2003, 09:39 AM
I hope you did not pay much for it.

Want a free Honda Factory Manual?
http://www.pauldesign.ru

Dallas&SarahsAccord
12-05-2003, 10:18 AM
i paid 1600 dollars canadian for it. but the interiors mint and sos the body besides under near the frame. its got 340000 kms on it though.

wprocomp
12-05-2003, 10:29 AM
that car sounds really dangerous....you need to have a professional bodyman take a look at it and hell a mech while you are at it....got any pics:D

Morpheus
12-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Sounds like its about to break in half.

oldsub86
12-05-2003, 09:11 PM
Didn't you have to have a safety check when you bought it?

MrBen
12-05-2003, 09:31 PM
At times like this I guess I take for granted the fact that I have no rust on my car.

Seriously, get your car checked out. If your car is rusting that badly then weigh out the pros and cons of keeping it. If you say the body is that good, swap it over to another 3g. Otherwise it is not worth fighting the rust unless you cut it out. It will win.

Morpheus
12-05-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
It will win.

:chainsaw:
It's like the plague for metal.

Dallas&SarahsAccord
12-06-2003, 12:53 PM
i took it apart last night, found the issue was the upper control arm and not the strut or the frame. the rust on my car is mostly where the body meets the frame, i figure it will last a couple more months and then ill buy a new one. im thjinking a 88 accord exi?
and does anyone have a console, the hard to find one that goes under the dash? ive been looking for one and just cant find one.

MrBen
12-06-2003, 01:44 PM
The tape holder console? I use it just to throw junk in. I have one, I found it on ebay for 20 bucks. There are probably some on ebay right now.

DanG86LX
12-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Dallas&SarahsAccord, looks like we got sister cars, even the color.. :wave:

"When i get gas, the gas ends up coming back out most of the time or it shuts off the gas pump every 10 seconds or so."

That's a constant annoying prob but i guess u shouldn't insert the nozzle all the way in, just 1/2" or so, angle matters too. It happen to me all the time.
If there is "bondo and fiberglass" there, the gas filler pipe rusted and that's a big prob cuz fine mud gets through holes in the tank and end up in ur carb, then u may have no idle!
Since is a safety issue, Honda had a recall "93021 - Fuel Filler Pipe" and is done even nowadays for FREE, find a kind Honda Service to do it for u.

danronian
12-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Is it really done for free in the states?

Dallas&SarahsAccord
12-09-2003, 01:18 PM
in canada we dont need to get safety checks on vehicles when we buy them so your pretty much stuck with what you get. but im gonna add some ventialtion to the gas line and i got the parts to fix mybroken control arm today so it should be back on the road again.. thanks for all your help