PDA

View Full Version : Got a brand new power antenna assembly!!!

Mike's89AccordLX
12-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Well I have never had my power antenna working and well I found a new one on ebay and bought it. It was like $9.99 so I could pass it up. The thing is brand new and perfect. Only bad thing is I forgot my Service Manual, Haynes, and my Chiltons at school. So I don't know how to take the dash apart. I have big hands so I can't do stick your hand up under the dash and put it in. I haven't done this and I don't know how. Should I just wait until I get my manuals from school or will you guys be able to help me enough?

There's a red wire and a green wire coming from the antenna motor. And then there's the antenna plug-in that you put in the back of your Stereo HU. I'm just assuming that the red and green wires hook up with my switch somewhere. Does anyone have pics of what I need to take the dash off? This will be good b/c I have 6" light bar I have been wanting to put inside the gauge cluster.

Thanks for your help guys.

-Mike

NXRacer
12-05-2003, 11:22 AM
thats a good question. mine doesnt work well either but i never bothered because i've heard they are a royal pain in the ass to replace.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Yeah I've heard that too, I know you have to take the whole dash off so yeah it's gonna be a beatch. I think I will have to wait b/c I forgot most of my tools at school, but if you guys can still help me I'm sure I can borrow my brothers sockets.

-Mike

PhydeauX
12-05-2003, 03:06 PM
I managed to change mine (gen2, non-power, but still may apply) only taking the lower part of the dash off. The trick I used was to tie a length of wire to the end of the antena cable, then pull the old antena out. I then tied the wire to the new antena and fished it back in with that. Saves alot of headaches. I tied the knot before I even pull the cable out from the radio area and wraped it with tape so there would be no loose ends to catch on things. The only reason I even had to take the lower dash apart was it would get caught up in some of hte other wires and I had to work it free.

andy

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-05-2003, 03:25 PM
You don't have to take the dash off at all.... just drop the fuse box down (two 10mm nuts) and you'll be able to get at it much easier. I pulled two of them at the junkyard, and after you figure out how to get at it it's really not that hard at all (the second one I pulled I had out in less than 10 minutes)

There's a little "C" clip that connects the antenna mast to the motor (DON'T LOSE IT.... it springs out of sight rather easily). You have to take that out in order to separate the two (otherwise you'll never get the mast out the top). Then it's just the electrical plug and I think 2 10mm bolts/nuts and the motor comes right out. You may want to take a piece of string and tie it to the old antenna (bottom, by the motor) before removing the old one from the pilllar. Then when you pull the old one out it will bring the string up with it, and you can tie that to the cable part of the new one to guide it down the pillar to the exact spot the old one came out of.

:)

Mike's89AccordLX
12-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Alright that sounds fairly easy I will take out that fuse box thing tomorrow and take a look at it. Thanks for your help. Any other advise would be appreciated.