PDA

View Full Version : Finally

NXRacer
12-05-2003, 12:10 PM
Well after what seems like a lifetime of hoping and dreaming, the time has finally come. I'm getting a motor for my baby this weekend!!! Since i've never really done a motor swap, i have some questions.

Is there anything unecessary i should/could remove while i'm doing the swap? I'm deffinately taking out the AC (could be up for sale if anybody is interested). Removing the PS is an option, but i dont know if i want to deal with the hassle of wrestling with it all the time. If i could find a manual rack that would be killer, but i can only dream.........

I wanna clean up the engine bay as much as possible and make it as bare as possible. I'd like it to look as clean as Juans, but im not sure if thats possible. I have all the tools necessary, an engine hoist and all that good stuff so it shouldnt be too hard. Kicker said the motor was rebuilt like 60K ago so i dont know if i'm gonna bother with the timing belt or the water pump. (not enough money to get em).

Any pointers to make my job easier?

Dibbs
12-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Have you done a search? :D

Seriously though, I suggest numbering your hoses, connectors etc. I know the vaccum lines are labeled but it just helps me better if I take an hour to mark them myself. COnsidering your climate I don't see how removing the AC would hurt much. I personally like PS but that's up to you as well. Just try to be as organized as possible and take your time. It's not a race. You definatly want to get it done right the first time. Congrats on getting back on the road and good luck!

NXRacer
12-05-2003, 12:42 PM
well i've got plenty of time because i wont be able to get it insured for 2 weeks. I hope it wont take that long because i have some other stuff to do like install my short shifter and do some serious clean up work inside and out. I might even try to mount my new bumper cover as well. Maybe i should order some new clear bumper lights.........

as for the vacuum lines and stuff, i'm thinking about just unbolting my intake manifold and setting it aside so i dont have to worry about that stuff. thank GOD i dont have a carb.

BITESIZE
12-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Lots of paper towels and kitty litter.

BITESIZE
12-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Lots of paper towels and kitty litter. whoooopsss double post.

Justin86
12-07-2003, 11:52 PM
So is it the A20 88-89 or the 86-87. I can't remember which Kicker was selling. You can pull the cruse control, the A/C cooling fan, all of the A/C lines and hoses and anything related to the A/C, winsheild sprayer bottle, battery to the trunk, and maybe colored emissions hoses. (they do help to make the engine bay more look more organized)