PDA

View Full Version : The Transmission fluid check quandary...

87DXHatch
06-27-2002, 07:45 PM
Ok, you know how it says you are supposed to run the car to normal operating temperature "until the fan kicks in twice" and then have the car in neutral on level ground to check the transmission fluid?

Has anyone tried sticking their hand down there when the car is warmed up? You have to snake your hand down there, and in the process you rub really hard against the radiator tubing. That stuff is really freaking hot when the car is warm!

So how do I go about checking my fluid? And does it have to be in neutral or can it be in park? Also, will it show up clearly on the dipstick, because when I did it when the car was cool, I couldn't tell where on the dipstick the fluid was...

Also, when I add fluid, is it to that spot where the dipstick is? I have an automatic.

Thanks all

offthahook
06-27-2002, 10:37 PM
I think on our FANTASTIC Hondamatics... you check it with the car OFF and you do NOT screw the dipstick in when you check the level; you just put it in the hole and it is a bitch to access. I think that's how it works...

87DXHatch
06-27-2002, 10:59 PM
Even with it off, the process of warming up makes those radiator tubes really hot!

ACCORD EX
06-28-2002, 02:17 PM
when i was changin engien oil ! i asked the mechanic to check the trans oil for me ! so what he did he usncrewed a screw and he put his fuckin finger in it and said " it's fine " :D
any way i have 5 spd manual ! :)

MIKE

87accordlxi
06-29-2002, 01:14 PM
there is no dipstick for the 5-speeds. you have to use your finger

hondamanlxi
06-29-2002, 01:25 PM
well dammit, how do you properly check a/t fluid?

ACCORD EX
06-29-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 87accordlxi
there is no dipstick for the 5-speeds. you have to use your finger

thanks Joe !
fool me !!! :) i thought the guy didn't know about the dipstick ! :D

MIKE