PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Make My Own Euro Tails!

HondaBoy
12-06-2003, 01:49 PM
last year, i made my own clear tail lights which were very cool. but they were very illegal too. so i havent had them on since i got warned to take them off. ive been wanting to make the euro looking tail lights. like altezza's. i was going for more of a supra style, with the blinker on the side and the red circle lights. anyway, i went to the junkyard on my way home, realy i was looking to see if they had got any new hondas in. they didnt but i saw this nasty little black primmered neon. i thought i would give the back end a look. it has euro tails! holy shit! one was broken and the other looked alright. i asked the guy how much for both and he said $35. im guessing he knows that they are usually not realy cheap. so, i guess i cant pass that up. i wanted those red circle lense that are inside because they are DOT approved because of the built in reflector. im going to go pick them up on monday because i couldnt get back over there fast enough before they closed. i dont know what im going to do for the other lights. i'll think of something. i think it would look better with 2 red circle lights on each side with a clear one for the turn signal and ill have to think of something to do for the back up light. i can find something. so, what y'all think?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Did you have the correct colored bulbs in your clear tails?

k-roy
12-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Sorry but I have to do it.
:rice:

shepherd79
12-06-2003, 01:56 PM
actually i was thinking about that. it would be very easy to make your own alteza lights.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-06-2003, 02:04 PM
I think I will try that instead of just clear tails for a challenge. What do you guys think I should use for the chrome stuff inside the light? Chrome tape?? (would that hold good enough?) Chrome Paint? (would that fade?) Where would you get the leds?

HondaBoy
12-06-2003, 02:38 PM
oh, the reason all clear tail lights are illegal in all 50 states i believe, is because DOT says you have to have a red lense. just red bulbs shinning through are illegal. the blinkers are different, they can be clear in the back as long as they have a yellow/amber bulb. i dont know about the colored ones, i think they bitch about those. but then again. i think the hyper white bulbs are find for the back ones. the front can be clear, but have to have some kind of orange reflector of some sort. and that all i have to say about that. hehe. i dont think it will look ricey when im done with those lights. thats what im trying to keep from doing, but keeping it with a custom look. guess we'll see when we see.

MrBen
12-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Chrome tape looks ghetto. Chrome paint is rarely ever chrome, it is more grey. Find a good chrome paint and knock yourself out.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Hell I'm just gonna do clear tails and then paint the bottom brake parts with candy apple red and then they will still look sweet and be somewhat legal. And have the top blinker part clear.

k-roy
12-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Or you could just have the pieces dipped in chrome

shane_lxi
12-06-2003, 11:05 PM
You can get the red disks for cheeper off of old semi trucks. Their trailer lights are the right size, and ar dot approved for all roads and streets. As long as there is two red dots at least, it is legal, and one of the red dots can be wired to work as the blinker too, or, if the dot is big enough, It can just cover both the bliner and tailight section of the rear lights, taht is what I am doing.

Micah 89LXi
12-07-2003, 01:33 AM
pics

HaccordR89
12-09-2003, 06:41 PM
black paint actually looks really dope. we did that on my buddys 00 civic and it was sick.

HostileJava
12-10-2003, 09:45 AM
So did you pic the lights up? Any progress on the project?

Morbid Intentionz
12-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Hmm.. funny i made all clears and used red Leds for brakes and yellow leds for the turn signal, and a cop actually thought they looked great. Although i live in Indiana. I would say do the project and let us know how it turned out and Mike.... like a shiny bright silver paint should do it, thats what i used for my clear. I recently took them off to do somethin better to em..........Take pics guys and let us know

Mike's89AccordLX
12-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Hey Morbid what did you use to seal the edges of the tails? Did you melt the edges or what did you use? I have some chrome paint that I used on my clear corners. I have a big sheet of light fixture stuff so I will just cut out a big piece and have fun with the heat gun. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna do all clears and hope to have it done by the end of winter break.

Morbid Intentionz
12-16-2003, 06:31 AM
i used hot glue and some kind of clear glue my buddy had. Not to sure on what it was though. Im half way dont with the outter right 'euro' tail light. I was tryin to do all LED's but i can't find any yellow ones.

ChaseR
12-18-2003, 11:22 PM
how would I go about just making the top turn signal clear? Instead of orange/red?

Elijah
12-19-2003, 01:47 AM
I would paint the backing the same color of my car.

Elijah
12-19-2003, 01:56 AM
I would paint the backing the same color of my car.

Morbid Intentionz
12-21-2003, 08:42 AM
how would I go about just making the top turn signal clear? Instead of orange/red?

Use a dremel and some plexi glass and or flourescent lighting cover. You can pick the lighting cover up at Office depot or a place like that. Use a heat gun and find good clear sealent glue. The know how is a givin from there.

buzzbomber88lx
12-21-2003, 10:24 AM
reminds me of old times when i had my bonnie and fast and the furious had just come out. the next day after watching it i bought little sring tensioners and i pulled out the taillights. lol. heres what you have to do to do it the cheap and DOT legal way.
pull lenses off the housing and make sure they dont break
pull all of the grayish clear plastic out
pull the bulbs out
go to autozone and get those red circle lenses that are universal and bulbs for them
paint the housing silver
go to home depot and get some plexiglass that is uber thin
go home and take the old lenses and put the plexiglass over it.
heat the plexiglass with a blowdryer until it is bendable
get it bent to the right shape and then cut the plexiglass
now finish the housings the way you want them
take some kind of clear coat and coat the plexiglass so it dont scratch to hell
glue the lenses onto the housing.
THIS SHOULD BE STREET LEGAL if not do it morbids way

I'll admit it I hate altezas but damn everybody thought my 88 bonneville was the shit afterwards lol.

shane_lxi
12-21-2003, 10:41 AM
I am interested, I wanna see pics of the progress!

MarioBurke
12-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Now heres the scoop on tail lights and legalilty of everything. First off to say Cops will pull you over, because ANY modification done to your tail light is illegal. That includes euros and custom jobs such as mine. Now he is the part that they dont want you to know about, especially if you live in California, so listen up. Further on in the Vehicle code it is stated that Modifications to your tail lights are acceptable as long as they follow the Federal and state laws of where you are located and pass Driving standard tests (DOT approved.) A couple things you have to remember while making tail lights, everything must be DOT approved. you cant just rip apart all the housing and make clear lenses, because you wont have the DOT approval. however if you come accross small lenses that have the DOT stamp on them and place them within the housing, and then put your clear plexiglass around it, you SHOULD be fine. the thing with bulbs is a bit confusing. Now according to part of the law, it states that you can have Red, Amber or white Shining towards the rear of the vehicle. if i remember correctly, its been a while since i read the bulb rules, for brakes you can have amber or red for stopping use, and white or amber for turning. doesnt really make sense to me but thats what it says. you CANNOT use colored bulbs for anything in your tail lights. the catch to the rule is it must be a cleared bulb with a red reflector housing around it. of course it does not state what color the bulb illumination can be, so you can skirt around by having a clear bulb that lights up bright red, such as LEDS. the main thing you have to remember is keeping the tail light fulling functionable. that is what will get you in the most trouble. making sure you still have stop, tail, and turn.

also for those of you buying altezza, I was talking a law enforcement i know, and they just received a notice in the mail stating that as of this year altezza will be legal for any use. of course considering you bought them with the DOT stamp on them

buzzbomber88lx
12-21-2003, 12:10 PM
my taillights were fine. I asked a cop I know here in town that I get along with and he had them checked out for me and they were fine.

MarioBurke
12-21-2003, 03:05 PM
you also have less strict laws then we do in California

buzzbomber88lx
12-21-2003, 04:42 PM
true that. we can run 6" of pipe off of the headers and it's street legal lol.

HondaBoy
12-21-2003, 06:06 PM
well, i havent had time to update y'all on what im doing. when i went to go get those tails off the neon, the red circle part i wanted was cracked in half and part was missing. so i said fuck that. im just going to get some round trailer lights like i had planned to do. only thing is i cant find any the right size. i wanted 3in diameter. ive found some, but they have the screw holes in them, so that would look like crap. heres what im thinking to do. i will put three lights in the corner tail. one orange round lense to the far side, then 2 red lenses. for the light on the trunk, im going to have that for one back up light. and the little red bulb thats in there will be re-wired to go for the red side marker that will be integrated in the corner tail light. its going to be where the side reflector is which will be tinted red to be legal. ive also been thinking of getting the LED round brake lights. thats a maybe. maybe ill draw up a model.

87sleeper
12-25-2003, 11:45 AM
just a tid-bit on chrome paint... i have found that if you poor out most of the thinner in the little model paint bottles it looks very chrome. you may not want to go through the hassle of brush paining, and it would take quite a few bottles, but it would look good.

HondaBoy
12-28-2003, 11:09 PM
ok. well, im not having any luck finding nice looking round lenses. so, i say screw it. im good at making things out of plastic so im just going to make the circles myself. although, that does mean i have to make them legal. it wont be a problem making the circle lenses. i dont know what i will do to tint them red. i will probley use model candy paint like some of y'all have done to the outside of the tail light to make the orange blinker red. on new years day, this hard ware store here in town is haveing a big ass sale. so i guess ill get the stuff then. im wanting to get acrylic plexiglass instead of regular plastic cuz it will last longer. the old clear tails i did were good. i did them with acrylic for the lense. it wouldnt break too easily. heres some pix of the originals.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/347000-347999/347392_14.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/347000-347999/347392_15.jpg

HondaBoy
01-01-2004, 11:51 AM
ayt, got the plexiglass and stuff to make the new tails. i guess i will be desiging the inside of them. i gotta make them look good. think i will have colored circle lenses, and black surrounding them. hope these tails will be the shit when they're done! im trying not to look ricey, but custom look. i think y'all will be diggin them when i show them. i got the digi cam, so no problem on waiting for pix anymore!

Glowin Smurff
02-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Any Progress or a Lost Cause?

HondaBoy
02-23-2004, 03:59 PM
well, really i've kept thinking about doing them. but until i have a shit load of time, its not getting done. i havent forgotten about them though. i'm still looking around for what would be best to make the round lenses. best find was at the junkyard on a few busses. they were about the right size. i need 4, red 3 inch round lights. and 2, 3 inch orange ones. as for the back up light, im trying to decide on what to go with, i'll probley get some round halogen ones that are for trucks. this is a lot more trouble that i though, so its probley going to be in the summer what it gets done. mostly because i dont have time around this time of the year.

lunaar_eclypse
03-01-2004, 07:11 PM
why cant there be just a altezza for the 3G accords!!! someone help us!!!