PDA

View Full Version : What is involved in a motor rebuild?

gruvmstr206
06-27-2002, 09:55 PM
lets see what you techies know! (and would you rebuild an engine that just smokes bad when started in the morning but runs fine after it warms up?) *no tuneup done yet*

YK86
06-27-2002, 11:18 PM
If my car was smoking like that, I would go out and get a good used engine if it was bothering me enough. I would only rebuild if I was going to improve something over stock internally. Just a rough idea of what's involved (way too many small things to list)

Hot tank it to get all the crap/oil off
tear down
inspect head for cracks and coolant passage rotting (vaccum and pressure test)

resurface the head (and sometimes the block)
valve grind
hone the cylinder walls
polish the crank

replace seals and rings (includes oil control rings, compression rings, camshaft seal, stem seals, rear main seal, main bearings, expansion caps if neccessary, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, blind seal, head gasket) and other gaskets for exhaust and intake manifolds

Put everything back together. The tear down and rebuild can be done at home with common tools and a few rental tools most won'thave but the machine work is best left to pro shops.

ACCORD EX
06-28-2002, 01:59 PM
i am currently doing a full engine rebuild to a peugeot 405 with some mechanices in a shop ! ( summer training ) i can tell you it's not that hard to tear up ! but it 's hard to rebuild ! the problem remains in finding the parts ! parts available = FAST JOB :D
any way as Yassu said the resurfacing must be done by a pro ! :D

MIKE