PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

1987HondaAccord
12-07-2003, 01:43 AM
Hey, its another "oh s*** help me!" thread

ok, so my brakes have been progressively been getting worse and worse. i think its just the front drivers side wheel, but the it sounds really bad. it started as just sounding like i needed to replace the brake pads, but then it got worse. after a few days, it sounded like the pad was dragging or something. and now, because i haven't done anything, everytime i brake it sounds like someone is dragging a piece of metal or like there is no pad left at all. i just replaced the pads this summer and i don't think i've driven THAT much. it also seems like the brake pad is loose because i hear a scraping noise whenever i drive (up until about 45 mph when other noise drowns it out). but i can get the noise to go away temporarily when i quickly turn the wheel to the left.

Does anyone know or have any guesses about what is going on? i would have thought that i would be getting noise out of the rear brakes because the pads are older. could it be that the caliper isn't "floating" anymore? or is it likely that the proportioning valve is going/gone? the reason that i haven't been under the car or taken the wheel off yet is because i'm at school and i have nowhere to do that, and no tools with me.

any help is appreciated!

thanks in advance!

86AccordLxi
12-07-2003, 02:11 AM
The sliding bolts on your caliper could be frozen which would mean that the pads would wear down quite quickly. this means that you need to replace your calipers, and probably also your pads and rotors as well.

Alex

shepherd79
12-07-2003, 04:59 AM
if the bolts are frozen, you don't have to replace the hole caliper.
just take out the caliper from the top sliding bolt. lubricate with some graphite lubricat. with brake pads off lower down the piston and move side to side to make sure it is moving freely.
you have to lubricate every part of the claliper that moves.the actual caliper, just where the bolts are.