PDA

View Full Version : dc sports header bolt size

buish
12-07-2003, 08:39 PM
i was driving around today, and noticed that there was a loud increase of noise, sounding like an exhaust leak. so i pull over and check it out. apparently 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the 2nd piece of the dc sports header to the 1st piece had fallen out. so i drive back home hoping the 3rd bolt would stay in, so i could take it out and get it matched at the hardware store. got home, and the 3rd bolt fell out on the way home. went to the hardware and looked around, and i thought i was in luck, since there was a bolt that looked like the size i needed. bought it and went home. it fits fine for 2 turns, then gets hard. i believe its a bit too big.

i would look at my instructions, but i no longer have them, since the wind blew them away when i was installing them and i went down the block looking for them with no luck. i don't think the instructions say the size, more like "install it with the included bolts."

so if anybody know the size of the bolt i need, it would be much appreciated. i really don't want to take off the exhaust manifold and bring it into the store to get it matched. i bought a 7/8" x 3/4" and 7/8" was just a bit big. should i be looking at the metric bolts instead?

Sabz5150
12-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Take the header to Honda, they will hook you up cheap, and you might get them to take interest in your ride. That's what I did when I needed those bolts for my headers. Also, get the crush gaskets that fit into the downpipe, you'll need those

A20A1
12-07-2003, 08:44 PM
I would try metric... since DC made the header for imports

aslo buy lock washers... they resist the vibration and help hold the bolt on.

buish
12-07-2003, 10:37 PM
yeah, i need to goto honda anyway, b/c one of the crush gaskets fell out too. the place never knows what i'm talking about when i ask for parts, so i usually print out the pic from majestic honda and point to what i need.

yeah, i'll check out metric bolts in the morning. hardware store opens up at 7am and i start work at 9:30. might have to take the beater to work if i can't find a bolt by then. thanks.

oh, there is no need for the lock washers. since its a 2 piece design, there are 2 flanges in the middle. the bolt goes up from the bottom flange and straight into the top flange. screw tight. flush fit. its weird, b/c i used red loctite for them bolts and still came out, but the engine shakes so much.

MoonScryer
12-08-2003, 04:42 PM
14mm large thread, get them about 1.5" long to clear through. Get case hardened if you can, it'll chew in and make new threads if yours are messed up. I got some at Home Depot.

buish
12-08-2003, 09:53 PM
ok thanks, i'm going to check them out tomorrow. i tried some m8 size hex and 5/16" bolt sizes, but too small.

moonscryer, are you sure its 14mm? it seems kind of big, like spark plug hole size.

A20A1
12-08-2003, 10:51 PM
damn 14? are you sure that wasn't a socket size?

I would say 10mm or 12mm thread but I don't have DC, oh wells.

buish
12-08-2003, 11:40 PM
i first started out with 3/8" fit fine for 2 turns then hard, so a bit big. went to 5/16" and 8mm and too small. don't see any 9mm bolts online. by eye, 10mm looks bigger than 3/8".

i just i'll grab a 10mm, and see. if nothing, going to retry 3/8" and force in. i guess if worse comes to worse, i'll find a machine shop and ask how much to helicoil the 6 holes(3 on each flange) to some standard size.

buish
12-09-2003, 02:32 PM
ok, forgot the trial and error. i just called up dc sports and they told me the bolts were custom design, didn't give me the bolt size. the guy said they sold the (3) bolts plus (2) gaskets for $19.95 + $7.50 shipping. i just ordered them, kind of seems like a rip, but oh well.

i was thinking of just using the 3/8" and screwing it harder, but it didn't give a complete seal, b/c i already kind of tried. said shipping about 4-5 days, but should be shorter since i'm in CA also.

i'll take them to hardware store and see if i can find a match when they come in. i bet they probably on the mcmaster-carr(sp?) website, under some obscure measuremnt too. i'm hoping red loctite does its job this time, so i don't have to buy any more of these bolts.

A20A1
12-09-2003, 03:04 PM
shoot just drill and tap... if there is enough metal. I can't believe this custom bolt tread crap... did you try different pitches and course and fine threads for the metric sizes?

buish
12-09-2003, 04:01 PM
a20a1, yeah, i tried different metric sizes. i'm pretty sure it uses the standard thread, not the fine one.

i thought about drilling and tapping, but i've done it before on a weedwacker engine, and the result wasn't what i wanted, and had to take it to a machine shop to do the job right.

i was thinking it might fit like a 11/32" bolt, but didn't really find it online, i didn't search that long for it though.

k-roy
12-09-2003, 04:40 PM
the entire car is metric dude.

buish
12-09-2003, 04:50 PM
note, the guy also mentioned that they have discontinued our model, HHC-5010.