PDA

View Full Version : Can you bench bleed a M/C on the car?

Sabz5150
12-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Topic says it all. I got a new master cylinder and of course it requires bench bleeding, came with a kit too. But I aint gots no bench vise to bleed it with. Can I install it in the car and get my g/f to SLOWLY press the brake pedal a few times with the kit installed to bleed it, or will this just cause a geyser of brake fluid?

Justin86
12-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Well I haven't done the accord but on others I was able to it with it still hooked up.

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-07-2003, 09:13 PM
That'll work fine.... you're still doing the same thing, just using the booster rod to push in the MC piston instead of a screwdriver. Just make sure the two little rubber hoses are connected to the MC then submerged in the fluid in the resivour, and go slooooow. It also helps (after you do it a few times) to take the handle of a screwdriver and gently tap the bottom of the new MC. You'll probably see a few little bubbles make their way to the surface. Then continue bleeding some more until it's all fluid coming through the lines (at least for the most part), reconnect the metal brake lines, and bleed brakes as usual.