PDA

View Full Version : Tranny is the devil

Justin86
12-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Well I figured out was wrong with my tranny I drilled the 1st/2nd shift rod at the wrong angle so it was binding. I was only off by a fraction of a degree but enough to make it not work. Now 5th all of sudden doesn't work after EVERY gear worked perfect before I put it in the car. Also it is still in gear when should be in neutral and 1st and 2nd bind up and will kill the engine. :confused:

I'm so fucking pissed right now I don't know what to do money isn't really an option I just want the peice of shit to work.
I have a 84 lude tranny (carb) and it will not work so I'm going to look for a Si tranny and or maybe a teg tranny. I want to get the best ratio possible. Here is the plan so far....

1- 3.181 (carb, Si, Accord)
2- 1.944 (carb)
3- 1.250 (carb, Si)
4- 0.937 (Si)
5- 0.694 (accord)
FD is 3.866 (Lx accord) or FD 4.066 (EFI accord)

I can't find the spec's for the teg so this is what I got so far.

cruznz
12-07-2003, 09:26 PM
might be the detents.........

Justin86
12-07-2003, 09:36 PM
NOOOOOOOO it is not the detents. It will shift into every gear no problem except 5th won't go in all of sudden, even though it worked fine before I put the tranny in the car.

cruznz
12-07-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
Well I figured out was wrong with my tranny I drilled the 1st/2nd shift rod at the wrong angle so it was binding. I was only off by a fraction of a degree but enough to make it not work.

Now 5th all of sudden doesn't work after EVERY gear worked perfect before I put it in the car. Also it is still in gear when should be in neutral and 1st and 2nd bind up and will kill the engine. :confused:

Whoa.......only trying to offer up suggestions

So you dismantled the tranny? To correct the previous fault?.....which is why i mention the detents,.....was it possible a shift rod or fork got misaligned/slipped out?...if you dismantled it, as you said it was still in gear when lever was in neutral and 1st/2nd were binding up

Justin86
12-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Well that is the thing you can hear and feel it go into a gear and there is that drag caused by the detents. There is no way the rod can fall out of place it is held in sleeves top and bottom.
Before I put it in the car I allways shift it into all the gears and put it into neutral and spin the main shaft and hold the counter shaft still. If the counter shaft would spin as I turned the main shaft I would know that it is in a gear. So everything was working perfect so I put it back into the car and then everything starts to go wrong, 5th won't go in 4th and 3rd are really hard then really easy it is in two gears at the same time then it is not. ?????????????????

Justin86
12-07-2003, 11:23 PM
I'm been trying to find the gear ratios for the teg tranny and I belive these are it, got them off B20ACCROD's website.
1st- 3.166
2nd- 1.857
3rd- 1.259
4th- 0.967
5th- 0.794
compare to my previous set up.
2- 1.944 (carb)
3- 1.250 (carb, Si)
4- 0.937 (Si)
5- 0.694 (accord)

So if I can get a teg tranny I will use this and I will proabably still try to get another accord bell houseing.
2- 1.944 (carb)
3- 1.259 (teg)
4- 0.967 (teg)
5- 0.694 (accord)

cruznz
12-07-2003, 11:33 PM
hmmm....ok..so somewhere lies a fault with either Reverse/5th shift rod and 3rd/4th shift rod....operation,...this must narrow the cause down..........hopefully

cruznz
12-08-2003, 12:06 AM
have you seen this?.....http://b16a.honda-perf.org/care.html

or this maybe.....http://dmoore.com/crx/tranny.htm

Justin86
12-08-2003, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the link, so here is what this site says for the teg ratios...
1st - 3.250
2nd - 2.052
3rd - 1.416
4th - 1.103
5th - 0.906
Reverse - 3.000
Final Reduction - 4.400
I loke the sound of those ratios much better. :)
As for tying to find the problem you can't it is something different everytime I pull it apart. Not to mention this is the 6th time I had it in the car to find out it suddenly dosen't work and I have tore it part so many times I lost count. I have proabably spent 90hrs on this and it still dosen't work! :pissed:

cruznz
12-08-2003, 12:50 AM
hows the freeplay on the main and counter shafts?And the spec's for 3rd/4th synchro's not to wide?......if it's intermittent,maybe you're getting some movement there.......does it happen at any certain time?engine load/speed?taking off/slowing down?

Justin86
12-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Well my car hasen't left the garage in a month. I blew it a first then tried the prelude swap and it didn't work so I'm going all over the place. The shafts are all perfect and my main problem is not with 3rd/4th.
You can run a search of my different problems with the tranny I have a few write ups stating when I first blew it. All of my parts have been repaced with good ones but I still have my original bell housing. I'm having trouble finding another so I'm trying to make this one work.

cruznz
12-08-2003, 10:15 PM
hmmm.....i'm thinking its a shift mechanism fault, i know you've done this several times but when you say it was stiff in 3rd/4th,it might be that 5th was also trying to engage, which could also be why you have no 5th gear.

Justin86
12-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Well before I put the 5th gear in I got a flashlight and looked into the case and watched the the shift rods and everything, and they all moved into position perfect. I to everything step my step and then tripple check before I put it into the car. Then in the car everything starts to go wrong. This is the 4th time it has been like that. On the bench it works fine then the 10ft to the car and the install process it get fucked up. ????????

cruznz
12-09-2003, 12:41 AM
....have you removed the 5th gear cover while still on the car to check the operation of the gear shift?......you didnt mention checking 5th gear op......(which is why i ask)

3vg
12-09-2003, 07:45 AM
justin: do you know of any 88/89 atuo trannys cheap. i live north of you about 60 miles. i have a 85 trans that had a 12 valve motor?????

mowery
12-09-2003, 08:05 AM
Could the 22mm nut on the end of the mainshaft that holds fifth gear be too tight? I ask that because of what happened to mine recently:

I had removed the access cover to check the condition of the teeth on fifth gear after reading all the posts about how fifth gear can be eaten. Mine was doing the slight 'crunch' thing also when shifting to fifth before everything warmed up.

The gears and everything else looked fine, except that the 22mm nut with the stake in it was loose! I bought a new nut, torqued it per spec, put the cover back on and filled the gearbox with new oil. The car would go about 8 feet then bind up and stall. wtf? The nut was too tight. I eventually reset it to not more than a foot pund or two and restaked it. It isn't on there much more than hand tight. That's the only tightness that would not cause the binding. It's been fine with no more 'crunching' ever since.

Is the manual wrong maybe? I don't know.

Just something to consider...

Justin86
12-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by cruznz
....have you removed the 5th gear cover while still on the car to check the operation of the gear shift?......you didnt mention checking 5th gear op......(which is why i ask)
I will have to drain the oil today and give it a try.

mowery I will give the nut theory a try. I have the honda service manual so if it is wrong then Honda is wrong. I used a impact wrench to tighten the nuts but they are also suppose to be pretty snug.

Justin86
12-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Well I loosened the shaft nuts and it did help to make the shifts smoother.

3vg
12-09-2003, 03:40 PM
justin; just sent you a pm. 1st time so i don't know if did it right. i'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you got it

Justin86
12-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by 3vg
justin; just sent you a pm. 1st time so i don't know if did it right. i'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you got it

Yea thanks john I got both of them. :)