PDA

View Full Version : which relay is it?

1987HondaAccord
12-08-2003, 05:18 AM
ok.... so sometimes my car doesn't want to start. its been happening for a long time now, but i haven't had the time/money/urgent desire to fix it because it usually starts eventually. it used to be that it wouldn't start if i had been running it recently but if it had been sitting for a day or so it would start right off. i realized after a while that i didn't always hear a relay click. so i started flicking relays and i finally found it. its the magic relay...

its located on the wall of the car under the dash. if you take out the little compartment for change or whatever to see the fuses, you can get to it pretty easily. the wires attach from the bottom.

does anyone know which relay it is so i can buy a new one? it would be great to be able to start my car without having to "caress" it everytime?

thanks

oh... the ecu is also throwing the code for the ect sensor, but i think that just gives me bad gas mileage.

Mac
12-08-2003, 03:14 PM
I think that is the main relay.

1987HondaAccord
12-08-2003, 04:19 PM
what kind of price would a main relay be if i bought it new?

Vinny
12-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Its the main relay and theres a how to on repairing them somewhere on the site. You can order a new one from Majestic, which would probably be the cheapest bet for a new one. Personally I'd just got get one from a salvage yard

1987HondaAccord
12-09-2003, 04:54 PM
how do i get the darn thing out? i can't find any bolds or screws that would be holding it in and it isn't loose

Mac
12-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Look here this might help. http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelaydefine.htm

scroll down to 86-89 Accords.

smufguy
12-10-2003, 02:55 PM
There is only one 10mm bolt thats holding it. Once u take the realy out. You have to dismantle the relay itself, which meants getting the whole relay outta the black casing. Once u get it out, you will see the PC (Printed circuti) board. Resolder all the solders and it works.

There is no if it would or would it might work. IT just WORKS, this is due to hairline cracks due to vibration and heat. Resolering takes 10 mts if u have soldering iron and lead. Have fun.