PDA

View Full Version : Car is not shifting gears properly

swiftly_driven
12-08-2003, 02:50 PM
I just had my idle turned down to 1000 rpms, because it was idling very high at 2500 rpms. My idle is now fine, but my car moves rough now. I was on the highway trying accelerate to 60mph and my car would not go pass 20mph and my rpms was revved up to 3000. I had the pedal to the floor. I pulled over to a gas station and checked my oil as well as my transmission fluid. Everything was fine. My engine compartment was clean...no leaks anywhere. The guy that fixed my idle to me that I will probably have to changed the spark plugs, because they could be black with soot. Could this be a reason why my car moves rough and I can't accelerate pass 20mph. Do I need to change my spark plugs or is there something else I have to do. When I started my car he was hearing a miss. If I change the plugs, will I get my speed back?

holla back
:wtf:

shepherd79
12-08-2003, 03:00 PM
spark plug may fix your sputtering problem, but it won't fix the acceleration problem.
did you check your tranny cable? may be it needs to be adjusted.

A20A1
12-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Loose booster venturi... or maybe he messed around with the vacuum lines and some how disabled your secondary. :(

.. I could see the idle adjust affecting the TV value but not by much.

blok2400
12-08-2003, 06:08 PM
sounds like a problem i had and it was due to the tranny cable and or the throttle cable. if the one connected to the trannny is not tight the car with shift sporadicaly. There is a how to that tells you how to fix this somewhere. its simple though you just tighten the bolt.

swiftly_driven
12-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Good lookin out...that's exactly what it was. My tranny cable had to be adjusted. I took my car to a transmission mechanic and he told me the same thing. My whip is fixed..actually it's running 10x better. I knew you guys had the answer. That is why I come to the forum 1st about any problems that I have with my car.

holla
:smokin:

hkplayer
12-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Can any one show me where to find the tranny cable bolt for adjustment? I wonder if that would solve my hard shifting with my auto? Advice would be great since I hardly know anything about this stuff.