PDA

View Full Version : damn belts

youknowit62300
12-08-2003, 06:32 PM
ok i have been wondering for like 2 years when i bought my accord the belt was squeaking so i got new belts that didn't help so i bought a new water pump.. I had to put another engine in it since then but the DANG belt still squeaks it is only when i first start it i can hit the gas and it will stop. the alternater bearings went out so i thought hey maybe that was it the whole time so i got a brand new alternator and new belts again and the stupid thing still squeaks anyone else have a problem like this with there 3 g???? i love the thing but it is a bit much when it draws lots of attention the wrong way.... Thanks for the help/

Mac
12-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Well the belts have been changed along with the water pump, alternator and engine. All that is left is the power steering and A/C. Maybe it's bearings or pulley on the A/C or power steering.

shepherd79
12-08-2003, 07:06 PM
check the tension on all belts.
you should have about .5" of tension.

youknowit62300
12-08-2003, 07:06 PM
it isn't the ac cause if i take that belt off it doesn't change it still squeaks when i got the new engine i put a new powersteering pump on there.. i just don't know what to do next maybe a b20????? LOL :confused:

k-roy
12-08-2003, 07:19 PM
What kind of belts do you use?
I used some cheapo ones for a couple of years and they always start to squeak after 6-9 months. I special ordered a Googyear Gatorback (interesting tread design, not just strait grooves. I just put it on this morning. So I guess I will have to wait to find out. The quality of the rubber seems to be higher then the Dayco it replaced.

zero.counter
12-08-2003, 07:20 PM
You don't want to keep changing engines because of a squeak do you? ;)

Most of the time, I have seen the culprit belt to be the alternator, although it could be any. Check the tensioning bolt on the alternator and make sure it is either present or tightened to spec as justin stated. You can use the old quarter trick with the top of head on the quarter being the farthest the belt will stretch, or you can use a belt tensioner form autozone. It sits between the pulleys and allows you to tighten exact.

Also the obvious, make sure that the belts are not shredding and if they are new and you tighten and check everything we suggested, spray some conditioner to see if it stops. One of your tensioning bolts is not holding it sounds like.

A20A1
12-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Don't over tighten the belts. And make sure oil isn't dripping on them.

BTW are you sure it's from the belts... it could be a problem with the speedo cable gear at the trans.

A20A1
12-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Is your lower alternator bolt still in place... I had mine fall out once and surprisingly the Alt stayed in place. But yeah that could be a problem as well.

youknowit62300
12-09-2003, 08:35 AM
yea i am sure it is the belts but i think the belt is stretching and it is causing the squeak i am going to re tighten it and see if that helps.. Thanks for the advice