PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Start

88EXi
06-28-2002, 08:06 AM
I recently started having this problem with my 88 Accord EXi. It will sometimes not start. It will turn over but not fire. If I try it a few times it will start. Sometimes it dies right away and other times it will continue to run fine. On another note, last week I was driving and it started to chug really bad and then stopped and was fine. Any ideas?? Would it be electrical with the summer heat or maybe fuel related?

DBMaster
06-28-2002, 11:38 AM
The starting problem sounds like the main relay. Check out my posts in the technical section. Try this: Turn the key to the "On" position. You should hear two clicks from under the dash near your left foot. The first one is the ECU getting power from the main relay and the second is the fuel pump stopping after pressurizing the fuel system. If you don't hear the second click, and the car doesn't start, it's your main relay.

Mine was intermittent for quite a while, but really started to get annoying with the hot weather. Replacing it solved my problem.

ACCORD EX
06-28-2002, 02:22 PM
my bet is on the main relay ! just like Mike said ! :)

EFI honda's really have problems in hot wheather concerning the main relay !
i love my carbed ! ;)

MIKE

DBMaster
06-28-2002, 06:29 PM
Accord EX,

Not too much of a problem, really. Pretty easily fixed and the thing went for 13 years before causing trouble.

I do have to thank this board for giving me the ability to diagnose this problem almost immediately. This issue has been posted so many times it ought to be in the FAQ's.

Thanks, everyone!

damackz
06-28-2002, 09:26 PM
Welcome yeah it sounds like the main relay to the test to see if u get 2 clicks and then u will know for sure. U might as well to a full tune up and change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor as it will make ur car run smoother, u must be canada if u have a exi where are u at? :pimp:

YK86
06-28-2002, 09:48 PM
It sounds like more of a coil/spark problem. If it was the main relay, the engine would not turn over at all but in his case, it does. It's a $5 item at the junkyard. Might want to try that first. It's the thing the spark plug wire goes to (from the distributor cap) on the passenger side of the engine bay. A bad coil makes the car hard to start especially on hot days (turns over but won't start)

88EXi
06-29-2002, 03:38 AM
Well I ripped out the main relay last night and re soldered it. At least it still works. ;) I had some trouble with it last summer as well. I still have no idea what the chugging was. I also have a weird intermittent miss at 2900 RPM. Everyone once in a while the car will miss at that RPM from 1st to 3rd. If I switch it off and restart it will go away. I am beginning to think the electrical is possessed. I was thinking of changing the distributer in it.

Finnally getting some summer here in Toronto.

Thanks everyone!!

DBMaster
06-29-2002, 05:57 AM
YK,

Truth is that the main relay has no effect on whether or not the engine turns over. Mine was turning over just fine, it just was not "catching" because there was no fuel.

I am still not sure about this resoldering thing. I don't care how hot it gets inside the car, it is not hot enough to meldt solder. I was able to get my old one working again by using tuner cleaner spray (Radio Shack) I have also used the spray to get an intermittent power antenna switch working again. Also, I used it on my factory stereo (when it was in the car) to get rid of the crackling sound I got when adjusting the volume.

As for me, I prferred just to put a new one in and not worry if my repair would hold up. It's not that easy for me to get a ride homw from work if the car won't start. In any given year the thing costs me little to operate so having to replace the occasional worn out part is not a big deal. Now, if you are cash poor, that's another thing altogether.

YK86
06-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Sorry, you are right that the relay can cause the starting problem since it does control the fuel pump. It was just that the relay "partially" breaking and causing one of the things it controls not to work wasn't that common (seems like either it worked or didn't work at all and the car didn't turn over or make the clicking sound). In most cases where the car doesn't catch, it was a bad coil or some kind of distributor problem especially if it had to do with outside/engine temp.

pimp86LX
07-02-2002, 07:29 PM
88exi, Toronto? sweet man, i'm in peterborough only bout hour and 1/2 away i spose...there might be a southern ontario meet in late august if i can get ppl to come...wanna come? heh heh

PM me if your interested

88EXi
07-03-2002, 12:20 PM
Well the starting problem seems to have stopped after the resoldering of the main relay. Time will only tell I guess.

I still get the chugging problem every once in awhile. I wonder if my fuel pump is weak or I might need a new filter. I remember sometime back where someone replaced the sock on the fuel pump pick up because it was dirty but I don't remember if that was the problem. First things first will be the fliter. OHH how I hate that job. BTW is there a PCV valve on an EFI. Some say yes and others say no. I can't find it.

As for the August meet, I don't know if I can make it. I am moving into a new house but I sometimes go by there on the way to Kingston.

Good luck on the resto.

pimp86LX
07-03-2002, 01:00 PM
heh heh no prob! good luck with your move...they can' be a bitch

89AccordLXI666
08-02-2004, 08:37 AM
How do u resolder the main relay? What do I have to do? Do I take out the whole fuse box located under the coin change thing??? Do I have to take the fuse box off or do I just resolder the main relay fuse thingy? Thanks.. Lataz

88EXi
08-14-2004, 03:03 PM
How do u resolder the main relay? What do I have to do? Do I take out the whole fuse box located under the coin change thing??? Do I have to take the fuse box off or do I just resolder the main relay fuse thingy? Thanks.. Lataz

I reached up underneath and used a socket (10 mm) and a open ended wrench to remove mine then I took off the cover (a couple of tabs) and opened up the relay. These are cold soldered so I just heated them one by one and resoldered the parts. Put it back together and it works great.

89AccordLXI666
08-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Thanks... but I just ended up buying a brand new one from the dealer for only 42.00 so it's all good. but thanks for the tip. Lataz