PDA

View Full Version : Need help quick, it wont start!

thegreatdane
12-09-2003, 08:58 AM
I had the engine running and took of some of the vacuum lines, to check for leaks, but all was fine and engine is still running fine. I remembered that i had to check my clutch cable so turned of the engine and i removed the cable and checked it. Fine too. Then when I try to turn the engine back on, it wont start... It reacts a little once in a while but doesnt get going. Then I tried spraying in some cold-start(?) spray. This gets it going but only a couple of seconds. I'm thinking that maybe it doesnt get any fuel?? Could I have jacked off some wires or something while removing the clutch cable? I checked too see that all vacuum lines are connected and they are. I tried resetting the ECU, and removing ground terminal for the battery a couple of minutes. What the hell can be wrong??

NXRacer
12-09-2003, 12:55 PM
If it'll run for a second on starter fluid, i'm guessing its a fuel problem. I'd check to see if your fuel pump is pumping fuel. Take off the main feed line and get somebody to turn the key and see if you have any flow out of the fuel line. That way you'll know where to look from there. If no fuel, its gotta be your fuel pump some how (either bad connection, burned out pump or bad fuse) or maybe a clogged filter.

thegreatdane
12-09-2003, 02:35 PM
That was my next step that i planned to take, I just havent had the time tonight, but tomorrow i'll have to check that. I just dont understand why suddenly after removing the clutch cable it wont start... Are there any wires in that area I could have ripped off, that could cause the fuel system not to work??

thegreatdane
12-10-2003, 03:25 AM
I checked the fuses, they are ok. But no pressure on the fuel line... I checked the connector to the fuel pump. No voltage... I took out the main relay, and one of the relay's wasnt working. I resoldered it, and now it's working. The trouble now is how to get the damn relay back in and get the plug plugged?? It was hard enough getting it out! I cant manage to get it plugged with that little space so how do i get the fuse box out? I removed two nuts from it, but it still seems to be stuck on the left side at the top.

shepherd79
12-10-2003, 05:00 AM
you siad you were pulling the vacuum lines. did you pull them when the engine was running?
may be you set off the ECU. check the ECU for any code. or better just remove the fuse under the hood for 10 seconds to clear the ECU.

thegreatdane
12-10-2003, 05:52 AM
Yes, while it was running, but it ran fine afterwards. I think I even had the engine turned off and on again without problems. It was after i checked the clutch cable it wouldn't start. I tried removing the fuse and I tried disconnecting ground cable from the battery, but with no luck. I get a code 13 from the ECU but it's always been there. I got the main relay reconnected after I got the fuse box removed, but it didn't help. The voltage to the fuel pump jumps up for a split second and then returns to zero, when I turn the key.
I'm open to ALL ideas on what to do!

thegreatdane
12-10-2003, 06:56 AM
This shit is pissing me off!...

shepherd79
12-10-2003, 07:42 AM
i bet it is the fuel cut off relay.
it is somewhere near fuse box under the dash.

thegreatdane
12-10-2003, 07:48 AM
The fuel pump works, and if I power it up manually for a couple of seconds the car will run for 10 seconds. For some reason, two of the wires to the main relay in the coupler/plug are cut. It's the blue/red and the yellow wire, which i believe is the one leading directly to the fuel pump? Now how the hell the fuel pump worked before if thats the case, is a mystery to me! But its funny because it looks like there has never been those 2 extra wires between the other wires that goes to the main relay, because the plastic wrapped around the wires has never been opened. The car was converted from carb to EFI if that's of any help? (maybe thats got something to do with the missing wires?)

thegreatdane
12-10-2003, 07:49 AM
Is the fuel cut off relay the same as the main relay? If not, how does it look like?

thegreatdane
12-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Ok, this is really ghetto.. I ran my own wire from the fuel pump to where the yellow wire should connect to the main relay. But nevertheless it works fine..
But i have to get it fixed properly, so my question still is; is the fuel cutt-off relay the same as the main relay? And how could it be that there's missing two wires at the main relay?