PDA

View Full Version : how to check compression?

TJ89Accord
12-09-2003, 02:42 PM
My Accord is running like crap, I wanna test the compression, but I'm not exactly sure how. Is there a way to do it myself? Or am I better off bringing the car somewhere? I tried doing a search, but it's not working now...

tim

Dibbs
12-09-2003, 02:44 PM
You can take your car to a shop or I think autozone has a compression testing tool that you can rent.

TJ89Accord
12-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Ill check Autozone i guess. My Accord feels like it is running on like 2 cylinders. :(

tim

Justin86
12-09-2003, 03:04 PM
If it is running on two cylinders it will vibrate so bad you would eb afraid to drive. Buy a compression checker there are around $20. You put the checker into one of the spark plug holes, disconnect the coil and turn the engine, and there you have it your compression. They just go from one to the other.

TJ89Accord
12-09-2003, 07:24 PM
I shakes very bad. Idles like crap. I had the pedal to the floor and it barely went to 4k rpm. I dunno what im gonna do yet though.

tim

Justin86
12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
What about your spark plugs. It sounds like you might have to spark wires crossed. I have done it before and it will cause very bad vibrations. Or maybe you need new wires cause your current ones are not making a good connection.

TJ89Accord
12-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Unless someone switched them on me, they should be in the right order. Ill check the plugs and wires, maybe its something simple?

tim

danronian
12-10-2003, 10:58 AM
The timing could be off by the belt jumping at tooth also, that is if it wasnt recently changed. But it might be a fouled spark plug. You could just try taking them out cleaning them and replacing. Alot of oil from leaky valve seals and guides will do that. Before I replaced them on my malibu they would foul out my sparkplugs every other time I tried to run the thing. Check for codes too. If not one of those things, and your plug wires and plugs are old, replace them to rule that out since it is a cheap option.

rocky2
12-10-2003, 12:20 PM
After you done the things already mentioned,firing order and clean and gap plugs. You could troubleshoot compression yourself with no gauge. Just start engine without one plug in....it'll blow and you'll hear it if its good. do 1 at a time,if you have one without noise its bad....another.Hillbillie test.

thegreatdane
12-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Talkin 'bout compression tests... I just did mine, but I can't remember how much compression difference that's allowed between the cylinders?