PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Remove Vacuum Lines & Power Steering?

it's paid for
12-10-2003, 01:44 AM
. . . this is a new day & a new beginning . . . I pick up my head from the machine shop today, order the new head bolts and other stuff and start putting back together what is now a headless engine in my car . . . should be fun, but I have to make a few decisions, like . . .

#1 - Should I remove the vacuum lines or put them back together?

#2 - Should I remove the power steering pump, or put it back on the car?

. . . my friend, the ex-Honda mechanic told me getting rid of vacuum lines and p/s pump would be totally stupid, that my steering would eventually fail and cause a crash and my idle and gas mileage would never be any good due to removal of vacuum lines . . .

. . . I'm confused . . . and I'm not a "mechanic", yet, I'm trying to be one . . .

. . . what do you guys think?

Thanks,

IPF

shepherd79
12-10-2003, 05:15 AM
i would say get rid of vacuum lines. you friend never seen honda without vacuum lines. the car will run better without them.
when i removed my vacuum lines, my car ran 1000% better. it never idled sooo good and smoooth.

k-roy
12-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Vacuum lines, ac (if it is broke) and ps are useless. They take away power. I got rid of them a long time ago and never looked back.

it's paid for
12-10-2003, 07:44 AM
. . . okay . . . so, the a/c has already been taken out and I'll remove the vacuum lines (except for the 2 or 3 still needed) and I'll get rid of the p/s crap . . .

. . . is there any validity that my steering will lock up, or otherwise become unsafe if I remove the power steering pump?

Thanks,

IPF

k-roy
12-10-2003, 08:49 AM
I have not had a problem in over 2 years. The pump applies hydrolic pressure to the rack, without the pressure you will just have to work the wheel a little harder.

Sabz5150
12-10-2003, 08:59 AM
Gotta go with Kroy on this one. I dropped my power steering and air conditioning long ago. Gotta say the car is a lot better without 'em.

88LXi68
12-10-2003, 09:02 AM
PS and AC are for whimps

k-roy
12-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
PS and AC are for whimps

So is cruise control.

sporkHSP
12-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by kroy
So is cruise control.
The only use of the cruise control is after you rip it out... Then you can wire NAWWS through the buttons. it would be totally camoflauged... but that would only be if your engine benefit from NAWWS.
I tried to use the cruise once, but never since then.

NXRacer
12-10-2003, 12:28 PM
im gonna hook up my NX kit and use the AC button as the activation switch and either use the CC button for the switch or just use the full throttle activation switch.

bertoaccord89
12-15-2003, 12:26 PM
are any adjustments needed if all vacuum lines are pulled. and your talking from the black box on firewall .

k-roy
12-15-2003, 12:56 PM
Check out the howto section. There is a good article there on removing the lines. You wil have to retune the carb, it takes a screwdriver and patience.

MrBen
12-15-2003, 12:59 PM
I say keep power steering (gotta have some sort of luxury) and get rid of everything else.

cubert
12-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Vacuum lines, ac (if it is broke) and ps are useless. They take away power. I got rid of them a long time ago and never looked back.

its not like its robbing enough power to mean anything...unless you plan on racing this thing alot whats the point of taking it off? and i would think if you planned on racing you wouldnt be using an accord....im with ghetto..keep the power steering....itll just be something nice about the car..you wont have to caveman grip the wheel to turn...as for the vacuum lines...i have no idea

k-roy
12-16-2003, 10:31 AM
The point is I like to do 90mph double lane changes in heavy traffic. Well I used to anyways. The more percision the better. I get a bit more pep at WOT witch is a good thing. And luxury? Forget about it, its a damn econobox. Its not too hard to stter at low speeds, of course I am not a skinny little weakling (not implying anybody is, just an example).

'A20A3'
12-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
im gonna hook up my NX kit and use the AC button as the activation switch and either use the CC button for the switch or just use the full throttle activation switch.

i was gonna use my A/C switch too...

MrBen
12-16-2003, 01:41 PM
The point is I like to do 90mph double lane changes in heavy traffic. Well I used to anyways. The more percision the better. I get a bit more pep at WOT witch is a good thing. And luxury? Forget about it, its a damn econobox. Its not too hard to stter at low speeds, of course I am not a skinny little weakling (not implying anybody is, just an example).

:lol :lol :lol

I'm with you there!

No power steering at low speeds sucks though, it's just the one "luxury" I like. I don't have AC because it sucks, and the vacuum lines SUCK and I plan on getting rid of them.

PortugalFocus
12-16-2003, 03:53 PM
i agree with ghetto.. drop vaccum lines and a/c... but keep the P/S....

erics86dx
12-16-2003, 10:35 PM
yeah keep the ps, i drove my friends civic with no ps and it sucked, i mean sucked, you have to basically start moving before you can turn, once again it sucked

Busted_Blue
12-17-2003, 02:38 AM
the power steering on the accord...is incredibly light...my pinkle can steer for parking! Well, i dunno, but I say keep P/S.. Personally i like it because parking in Frisco is a bitch.

POS carb
12-19-2003, 11:03 AM
p/s and cruise control was invented for getting some if you know what I mean...
if you think you're more of a man for manually steering your 3gee whatever :lol