PDA

View Full Version : PCV for the last time...

87DXHatch
06-28-2002, 12:52 PM
I just got a PCV valve from the Napa autoparts store near me. I told them I had an 87 accord carbed and they gave me the part.

Is the PCV valve supposed to be the same size on both ends? If it is, mine is bigger on one end, will this make things more difficult?

I remember seeing a picture of one on here a little while ago, that would be helpful... I couldn't find it by searching posts...

YK86
06-28-2002, 01:45 PM
Your will be on the passenger side of the intake manifold near the valve cover. It's supposed to be a little bigger on the bottom side.

XBLCanterX
06-28-2002, 01:55 PM
ok yes our PCV valves are bigger around on the bottom and skinny on top with nipple heh ... anyway...

to get to your old one if you dont know how...

1. open hood.
2. take off air filter housing (big black box on top of engine that holds the air filter.)
3. after its off, look on the intake manifold about 3-4 inches behind the valve cover. youll see a hose that looks like an upside down "U" the PCV valve is on the right side of this hose in a grommet on the intake manifold.
4. BE CAREFUL TAKING IT OUT!!! If it is old it probably is brittle and will crack very easily. I always leave the clamp on the PCV valve side and undo it on the left and then use the hose itself to pull the valve out. (try turning it back and forth while pulling up on it).
5. After the old one is out, hold it up and shout "WHOS YOUR DADDY BIATCH!!" Throw it down, stomp on it. then put the new one in connect the hose back and put the air filter box back on...your done...now go take a nap.

87DXHatch
06-28-2002, 02:56 PM
This thing will not come out!!! I need advice and fast!

ACCORD EX
06-28-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
This thing will not come out!!! I need advice and fast!

it's a bitch to remove ! :(

try using pilars

MIKE

XBLCanterX
06-28-2002, 06:40 PM
now you know why I said stomp on it....heh

keep jiggling it around...and if you use pliers BE CAREFUL! trust me you DO NOT want to break if off b/c you will not be able to get it out of its grommet.

87DXHatch
06-28-2002, 06:54 PM
Well I finally got the SOB out...

I remember someone on here said it was a 5-minute job... it took me 2 and a half hours!!!! That was the most hellish nightmare I have ever been through with my car (considering it's the second more than easy job I've done, the first being replacing a wiper fluid motor...)!!! I swear after the first hour and a half of taking the airbox and hoses off, which I don't think has ever been done on this car before, we (It took me and my big brother) wrenched on that PCV valve for at least 40 minutes with every pliers we could find using every technique we could think of. Finally he just used all of his might and got it out.

Um, how cracked is too cracked for the grommet the PCV valve is in? Because I put a crack in the side of it but it doesn't look too bad...

I was wondering... can anyone list some jobs that are routine sort of maintainence and are more difficult than the PCV and the jobs that are less difficult?

Also, will this fix the problem that I have when my car runs for like 30 minutes at least, and then I shut it off, when I turn it back on the idle shoots up to 3g's and won't go down...? The valve I took out was really full of black crap and really dirty. I just whipped it to the ground as hard as I could...

What a freaking ordeal... but when I put the key in the ignition and the car started, and I realized I hadn't screwed it up to the point of not working, the feeling was sooooo good...

You have to be sooo rough with some parts to get them out! I'm not used to it yet... working on cars isn't as easy or glamorous as you people make it seem... but I'm learning...

Thanks for all the help. 3 months of posting about my PCV valve and I finally get it fixed!!

rocky2
06-29-2002, 02:29 PM
Did you have a idle-rev situation? Is that why you did the PCV? I have read other posts that it corrects this problem.

1988starter
06-29-2002, 05:40 PM
Easy stuff

Cap, rotor

New plugs and wires

Accel Coil or similar

PCV valve

Fuel filter

Throttle body or carb cleaner

new air filter oil change with new filter

well that is my idea of a good tune up.

CARBurn
06-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
This thing will not come out!!!!
:lol :lol :lol
Didn't I tell you it would be hard getting out, I took me a good half hour to take mine out, I would take a break and go back an pull,I would take another break and go back and pull, etc.

1988starter
06-30-2002, 11:20 AM
Took me about 5 min for my car.

ACCORD EX
06-30-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 1988starter
Took me about 5 min for my car.

:eek: :confused:

what a pro ! :D

MIKE

TeKKnoTeKK
06-30-2002, 02:22 PM
Another easy thing to do is the 02 sensor, that should be part of regular maintainance as well