PDA

View Full Version : flip lights

1988_5spd_lxi
12-10-2003, 05:46 AM
my flip light stop fliping. i check all the fuse . where is the fuse located. :confused:

shepherd79
12-10-2003, 06:55 AM
something wrong with your headlight switch. the only way to get it fixed is to replace the hole combo switch.

RustyHo88
12-10-2003, 07:29 AM
the fuses are under the drivers side kick panel... but i dont recall there being any for just the retractor motors. anyway, there are several things that can cause this. first, do your headlights work even when they are down? if the lights themselves work, then its either your retrator motors, retractor motor main relay, the two seperate retractor relays, or (the easiest one to fix) the little switch thats to the right of the steering wheel; The one that you can press to leave your headlights up when you turn off your lights. if you know electronics well enough, just download pauls manual, and start probing the main unit and wiring harness. When i had this problem, i was able to determine that it was the little switch to the right of the steering wheel. So i replaced it, and viola. If your headlights dont work at all (ie, they dont flip up and theres no light coming from them), then its probably your combo switch or a fuse. check all the fuses under the drivers side panel, and in the engine compartment. good luck.

Dibbs
12-10-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by RustyHo88
the fuses are under the drivers side kick panel... but i dont recall there being any for just the retractor motors. anyway, there are several things that can cause this. first, do your headlights work even when they are down? if the lights themselves work, then its either your retrator motors, retractor motor main relay, the two seperate retractor relays, or (the easiest one to fix) the little switch thats to the right of the steering wheel; The one that you can press to leave your headlights up when you turn off your lights. if you know electronics well enough, just download pauls manual, and start probing the main unit and wiring harness. When i had this problem, i was able to determine that it was the little switch to the right of the steering wheel. So i replaced it, and viola. If your headlights dont work at all (ie, they dont flip up and theres no light coming from them), then its probably your combo switch or a fuse. check all the fuses under the drivers side panel, and in the engine compartment. good luck.

Couldn't have explained it better Rusty. Good Job!

Vinny
12-10-2003, 07:56 AM
like rusty said it could be one of several things.
Is it just one thats not flipping up or is it both of them?
Do they flip up with the dash switch or are they not comming up when you turn the headlights on or both.
If they come up with the dash switch but not with the headlight switch on the column then yes you might have a bad combo switch
If both of them won't come up with either the dash switch or combo switch you may have a bad ground
If its just one not comming up check fuse #6 under the hood for the right headlight or fuse #7 for the left. Those 2 fuses power the individual retractor motors.

Knowing how the system works will help tons in getting the problem resolved, its alot cheaper to troubleshoot it smartly than just throw parts at the car like an idiot

EDIT Let us know what you find and we'll help you narrow it down a little more if none of these suggestions help ya