PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Wanna Guess How Much Head Bolts For My 2G Cost?

it's paid for
12-10-2003, 01:38 PM
. . . I left the dealership almost in tears . . . I could only afford two . . . they gave me some sort of discount . . . I think I'm gonna throw up . . .

http://bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/bolt_order_01.jpg

. . . the machine shop guy told me not to use gasket sealer when attaching the head . . . he said:

1 - tighten it down according to torque specs
2 - let it sit for 30 minutes
3 - tighten it down again to torque specs

. . . I also told him about the price of the head bolts and asked him if it was okay to use 8 of the old ones with 2 new ones . . . he said if the old ones weren't stretched, it'd be okay . . . so I asked him how I could tell if the old bolts were stretched, or not and he said something about when I'm torqueing them down . . . like they won't torque down . . . I have no idea what he's talking about . . . does anyone here know what he's saying?

. . . oh . . . almost forgot . . . here's the new baby . . . (big sigh) . . .

http://bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/head_finished_01.jpg
http://bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/head_finished_02.jpg

. . . and here's the stuff I'm going to use to clean the brown ring at the top of the cylinders . . .

http://bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/brake_cleaner_01.jpg

Thanks everyone!

NXRacer
12-10-2003, 02:26 PM
what the machinist meant is that when you're tightening the head bolts down, if they feel like they're not getting tighter and you're just forever tightening them, then they're stretching. (just like it sounds).

88LXi68
12-10-2003, 04:33 PM
I have heard that you can reuse Honda head bolts once, but I wouldnt chance it. I would just get the rest, because if something does happend you are creating more problems for yourself. Also, did you get the head P&P?

it's paid for
12-10-2003, 05:09 PM
. . . I would just get the rest, because if . . . Hey, I totally agree 100% but at $16.64 each bolt, that's $166.40 for the set, plus tax just for the new head bolts . . . I can't afford that right now . . . no way . . . and that makes me sick because I know I need to get them . . .

. . . did you get the head P&P?
What does that mean? The invoice indicates the following:

Headset $79.99
Cylinder valve job $75.00
Cyl head planed $20.00
Pressure check $20.00
Solv/Haz waste $5.00
----------------------------
Total $205.59

Gosh . . . this might really sound stupid . . . but a few minutes ago I went down to the basement just to look at the head . . . it's truly a thing of beauty . . . would it be sick to have photos of it enlarged and framed so I could put on my office wall?

88LXi68
12-10-2003, 05:30 PM
P&P= Port and Polished for more intake and exhaust flow

Dibbs
12-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Headbolts, in theory are designed for single use. I hate to be a downer but I wouldn't chance using the old headbolts even if it's just one. I can't believe you couldn't find an aftermarfet supplier for your headbolts.

shepherd79
12-10-2003, 05:50 PM
i now that headbolts are designed to be used ones, but i think it is ok to use them twice.
i just rebuild my engine and i was on big budget.
the car runs fine.

Gregg86DX
12-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Unless they are specifically identified as "torque to yield" bolts, then you should have no problem reusing them. In an ideal world, we would replace any bolt that's been strained, but unless the metal has corroded or been stretched beyond it's yield point, it should retain it's strength.

If you can achieve the proper torgue setting when installing the bolts, then you should be fine. If the bolt is stretched or otherwise weakened, it will probably break before you reach that torque.

Gregg

Gregg86DX
12-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Also (since I am now post whoring to get past my Newbie status)

Here is a link with some good info:

Preventing Head Gasket Failures (http://www.federal-mogul.com/cda/content/print/0,2196,2442_7359_7465,00.html)

Gregg86DX
12-10-2003, 06:03 PM
(more post whoring)

I would use Carb cleaner on the cylinder walls instead of brake cleaner, and if it's crusty, you can use a razor blade to scrape it off. Just be sure and vacuum out the cylinders when you are done.

YK86
12-10-2003, 06:03 PM
I know you're supposed to replace the headbolts but I've reused them in the past (including one 2G Accord) and have had no problems. I also reused the old headbolts on the B20A as well (getting new ones didn't even cross my mind). But if you want to do things right so you don't "regret" anything in the future, then new ones are the safer bet (as long as you can afford it or the car/motor warrants spending lots of cash).

Grant2k
12-10-2003, 06:47 PM
i know how you feel, i spend $12 each on control arm bolts when i did my suspension and i thought that hurt. i don't blame you for not getting all of them.

Defiant[YD]
12-11-2003, 12:03 AM
wow, damn.... i didn't know they were gonna cost so much?!?!?!
when replacing the heads on the civic, they said to only use headbolts once per use.
but damn... 17/bolt is too much.....

A20A1
12-11-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by it's paid for

Gosh . . . this might really sound stupid . . . but a few minutes ago I went down to the basement just to look at the head . . . it's truly a thing of beauty . . . would it be sick to have photos of it enlarged and framed so I could put on my office wall?

You know after spending $200, a few extra dollars to have a poster of a mint accord head wouldn't hurt. :D

k-roy
12-11-2003, 02:35 AM
I do not know if Honda uses torque to yield bolts or not. Every time I have pulled a head I have replaced them regardless. The reason is that slowly the threads bend, sometimes when you go to put them back in they can strip the hole. My suggestion is to use a thread chasing tap in the bolthole to make sure it is good and clean. Then hand screw in each bolt to make sure they all fit good. If not just replave whatever ones are bad to save money. Be sure to clean the bolts and inspect them closely.

lilphillie78
12-11-2003, 07:54 AM
what i've always done was take a head bolt into like lowes or another hardware, ask for grade *8* automotive bolts and find a nut that threads #smoothly# down the entire length of the bolt and search for one of close length with the same thread pattern, if necessary, grind or hacksaw any excess material (too long, etc) and they and up being like 20 bucks for 10 of 'em... good deal and grade 8 is the hardest bolt you can get.

it's paid for
12-11-2003, 08:04 AM
. . . ask for grade *8* automotive bolts and . . . What a brilliant idea - thanks . . .

. . . also . . . thanks for all the other comments as well . . .

. . . I still can't believe I can put this thing together right . . . we'll see, eh? . . . should be fun . . .