PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor

HondaBoy334
12-10-2003, 09:10 PM
I have a 1987 honda accord lxi hatch and my compressor is shot. Do you guys know what kind of compressor it has and if I wanted to upgrade what is a website or store to go to find this info? thanx

Gregg86DX
12-11-2003, 01:31 PM
I like these folks:

http://www.ackits.com

Mac
12-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Yup try ackits. I used them a while back and they were right on top of things. I had no problems at all. They also have a forum board that is very good.

jigga225
12-12-2003, 12:14 AM
i have a used one if you want it.
PM me if you wanna Holla

k-roy
12-14-2003, 07:34 PM
It is either a Keihn or a Denso compressor. I hear the Denso is much better.

DBMaster
12-19-2003, 01:28 PM
If it's the Keihin, don't even bother with a rebuilt. Get a newer Sanden compressor with brackets. Honda makes a kit and I'll bet some of the aftermarket A/C places have what you need to convert.

Also, stick with R12. The performance of these systems is nitceably poorer in really hot weather with R134a.

EvilPenciler
12-19-2003, 11:50 PM
''Also, stick with R12. The performance of these systems is nitceably poorer in really hot weather with R134a.''

but in the long run it'll be cheaper to get the r13

DBMaster
12-20-2003, 11:19 AM
I would actually doubt that because a proper R134a conversion will be quite expensive. The $30 "conversion kit in a box" will neither work very well or last very long.

I would suggest doing a search for A/C threads. The R12/conversion issue has already been beaten to death many times. :)

EvilPenciler
12-20-2003, 02:28 PM
I was just saying becuase I went to a few shop and they said if they did teh conversion it would cost teh same aS filling the R12.

njpeter
12-20-2003, 02:53 PM
I was just saying becuase I went to a few shop and they said if they did teh conversion it would cost teh same aS filling the R12.

couple of factoids:

normal folks can't buy R12 anymore, so unless you are married to your garage, go with 134. and real r12 is over $60 a pound.

Almost had a 30 pound container for cheap at a garage sale ( guy didn't know), till some smart ass kid went bonkers when he saw me with the container and the guy ended up wanting $200 for it ( it was marked $10 and the kid said he was crazy). I told the kid that if he bought it, He better have an EPA certificate as I got his tag number ( my car was up the street).

I have about a dozen old r12 cans 1 pound cans, but after the last leak in my van, I went 134 ( saving the 12 for a really rainy day and another car-all of my cars are 134 now)

134 expands more then 12 does, ignore sight glass.

if you are still lokking at the sight glass, this means you haven't changed the dryer-fact-10 year old honda can use a new dryer. They are failry cheap and assure your 134 conversion will work for more then a fw weeks.

I used "poly alpha oil" from acsource.com, oil choice is critical, I do have two cards running with PAG ( long story) but they are still fine and I can freeze my butt off in the summer ( texans have other concerns)

read the other posts for more good info on compressors and 134 conversions, NOW is the time to buy the stuff, in the summer, used compressors go for over $100.

last word-safety goggles at all times

DBMaster
12-22-2003, 07:14 AM
I guess I say that because I have an EPA certification. I took the test and it cost me only $15 about nine years ago. There are numerous places both online and in person to get the certification now for the same $15 without much studying to pass the test. If you are mechanically inclined and know anything about A/C you can pass it after watching a video (like I did) or reading a short book.

R12 is actually "only" about $35 at the auto parts houses. I have noticed the prices on eBay coming down to less than $20 per can. This would be because fewer and fewer cars are using it. I had my system replaced four years ago and it puts out 45 degree air on a 100 degree day. I would be surprised if R134a can do that in our cars without a new condenser and expansion valve along with the other parts.