PDA

View Full Version : Anti Seize Applied to Crankcase Pulley Bolt?

it's paid for
12-11-2003, 11:03 AM
. . . I was wondering . . . do I need to apply anti seize goop to the crankshaft pulley bolt also? I got the type you brush on instead of the spray-on stuff . . . picked up my tune-up kit today w/new water pump, distributor cap & rotor, plugs, wires, filters, blah, blah, blah . . .

Thanks,

IPF

danronian
12-11-2003, 11:18 AM
I have never heard of applying it to pulley bolts. And I never have when I had my malibu's motor apart many times.

k-roy
12-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Anti Seize is good stuf to use, I use it on just about everything attached to the car that requires a specific torque setting.

NXRacer
12-11-2003, 12:28 PM
arent you supposed to do the opposite and put locktite on it? I'd tend to think that you'd want that nut on as good as possible so it doent have a chance of flying off when you're driving down the road somewhere.......

it's paid for
12-11-2003, 12:51 PM
. . . so it doesn't have a chance of flying off when you're driving down the road somewhere . . . I thought this was impossible . . . because . . . as I understand it, if the engine is running, it's basically tightening the nut, thus making it virtually impossible to fly off . . . right?

shepherd79
12-11-2003, 01:55 PM
you are correct. it is impossible for a pulley nut to fly off.
you can apply just a little bit just enought so it won't rust.

NXRacer
12-11-2003, 04:09 PM
my bad i didnt think about that. sure makes sense! :D