PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a clay bar?

k-roy
12-11-2003, 11:52 AM
I just picked up a Maguiers clay bar. It was $15. I heard they are good at removing blemishes to the paint.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to use them?

Busted_Blue
12-11-2003, 02:56 PM
spray the liquid that comes in the pack then rub the clay bar and spray as you rub....and oh yea it DOESNT remove blemishes.

NOTE: it does make the car smooth as glass! I tried it on my trunk, and it didnt remove blemishes..but it sure made it feel like i just put on an allday 15step carwax job!

SteveDX89
12-11-2003, 04:25 PM
I'm used it. I've only done it once so I got 2 more times before the clay is worn out. They're good for removing the dirt that's stuck on the paint. The stuff that regular washing doesn't get off. That's why the paint is smooth as glass when you're done and re-waxed. I think I spent 4-5 hours cleaning my car the day I used that.

HaccordR89
12-11-2003, 11:59 PM
i wish i could remember the stuff my buddy used to have to clear up blemishes. if i figure it out i'll let you know or if someone else knows they should mention it. the stuff was sick though, it even got rid of shallow scratches and what not. came in a tube, damn...im still drawing a blank, i'll figure it out and let you know

MarioBurke
12-12-2003, 12:34 AM
the clay bar doesnt remove blemishes, its an autobody detailing product. its used to get over spray and dirt out of the paint before you buff it. like when you wax your car and you get that nice smooth feeling....except instill of filling in the imperfections with chemicals, clay just removes everything. I dont really like it though. the problem with clay is if you get a pick particle or dirt peice, or you dont keep the car and the bar soaked it scratches your paint bad. to get the paint super slick I use something other 3M products. PM if you want to know more

G Man89
12-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Clay bar works good at removing stuff that washing can't like bird droppings, bug guts, and tree sap. I use clay bar at work and it does a good job of removing that stuff.

mykwikcoupe
12-12-2003, 09:11 PM
first claybars dont wear out. The good ones will last tilll there is nothing left of them. Ive used mine about 8 years now on hundreds of cars. You need to make sure the car is CLEAN. Freshly washed. spray some ordinary tap water on the car and used alot (you cant use to much but too little and the claybar will stick and leave a nasty little smudge on the paint). Be sure to flip the bar from top to bottom often. about ever 5-10 strokes. This helps keep the bar from defoarming and gives an overall better finished product in my opinion. When the bar gets balck or very grayish(which it will). Just take it inside and run it under warm-hot water till it gets kinda maluable. Not too flexible but just enough to fold over itself quite a few times. You will notice the bar start to become light again. You may get some small discoloration lines but thats ok. IF YOU EVER DROP THE BAR OR GET DIRT OR DEBRIS IN THE BAR STOP AND CLEAN THOROUGHLY. iT WILL SCHRATCH THE HECK OUT OF THE PAINT.

So to sum it up here what I do.

-Wash car thorough like you were going to wax it
-start at the top of the car systematicly working down,
-first wipe the area to be claybarred to remove any dust that may have settled on the car since you washed it. When doing this outside you get alot of small debree and light dust. This is bad to get into the claybar

-spray the area to be claybarred with lots of regular cold tap water from a spray bottle

-use normal waxing speed strokes going from front of car to back of car (never from side to side) completely cover the area. I like to drag my thumb behind the claybar with little to o pressure so I can feel the texture of the paint. When you are sufficiently satisfied the area in question is smooth, simply wipe off the remaining water with a dry clean soft towel. If you leave the water on the car it may dry leaving the particles behind defeating the purpose of this projest.

-move onto the next location and repeat. I go from roof drivers side-roof passenger side-hood drivers side-hood passenger side-trunk-drivers side(never go below the trim line, this where a major portion of the larger debris is collected. If you chose to be very careful and check the claybar surface often for debris)-passenger side.

Normal process takes about an hour depending on how bad the surface is and how picky you are. I do my cars twice a year or whenever needed. Ive used it to take off iron oxid fallout, overspray, simple cleaning, whatever you cant see but can feel thats not the paint itself. Sorry for the book. Im going to have to stop giving away all my detailing secrets. Oh well Its not like Im the only anal car owner out there

Ps I bough my claybar when I was detailing. It is a professional grade bar and is actually gray in color. I have no knowledge about parts store claybars so if the aboved doesnt work feel free to try something else. It has worked for me plenty of times.