PDA

View Full Version : brake rotors / pads are good/best?

1987HondaAccord
12-11-2003, 09:48 PM
ok, so my car is in dire need of new pads/rotors for the front and i was wondering what other people use or know is good. I was hoping to keep the pads under $50 and i would like to get the rotors at a good price (i don't really know what range they run in). I have heard of Brembo rotors and they look like they have a good design but i don't know much about them. i was hoping for something sorta high performance or that can hold up to heavy braking at least.

btw, what is the difference between semi-metallic and metallic pads in terms of performance?

thanks for the help!

k-roy
12-12-2003, 03:47 AM
Performance for under $50? now thats an oxymoron.

1987HondaAccord
12-12-2003, 03:49 AM
ok. i don't know what prices to look at. that is why i asked the question.

what are the differences between the front rotors for a 88/89 and those of an 86/87? i was looking for prices of rotors and they were listed differently.

maka_RTH
12-12-2003, 03:51 AM
the 88/89 had bigger rotors on the front i believe(as afar as LX-i at least). if i remember correctly, metallic pads last long, but you get a better grip with semi-metallic cuz they're softer...., i'm not entirely sure though, someone would have to confirm and i'm too tired to look it up

RustyHo88
12-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Are your rotors shot... or just a little warped? You should try to get them turned if possible... that is unless you you have other reasons for wanting new ones.

Nice signature Maka :lol

1987HondaAccord
12-12-2003, 10:10 AM
they are pretty grovy. i don't think they are thick enough to get turned and still be above specifications. and i found some raybestos rotors for only $23.99 so that would be about the price of turning right?

maka_RTH
12-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by RustyHo88
Nice signature Maka :lol
thanks ;)

RustyHo88
12-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by 1987HondaAccord
they are pretty grovy. i don't think they are thick enough to get turned and still be above specifications. and i found some raybestos rotors for only $23.99 so that would be about the price of turning right?
Yea, good call. If they are pretty well skored, then new rotors is definetly a good idea. Shoot, most places around here charge $25-30 to turn your rotors. Consider yourself lucky.

goldadition
12-12-2003, 08:35 PM
hey i don't even pay to turn my rotors. ha ha ha ha! i work in a garage. i belive that the semi met. is what you can find on most cars today. the metallic is used with sports car that are driven fast and need to stop even faster. i wouldn't pay for those. i belive that from napa auto. a good set of pads are 30-45 and rotors are anywhere from 50- 85 depending on avalability, if its slotted or drilled. you could buy auto zone pads for cheaper but u will replece them x2 as fast as the ones from napa. also if you do decide to go bigger rotors don't forget to put on a bigger master cyl. as well. you'll be sorry if you don't

Neuspeed87lx
12-13-2003, 05:12 PM
you could go to your local napa and get pads for around 30 bucks and rotors for about 25 bucks each ....so it would be 80 bucks for 2 rotors and pads for both sides