PDA

View Full Version : to remove a stripped bolt?

johnwc723
12-11-2003, 11:16 PM
hey, im the one that has been asking questions about alternators... now i finally have gotten to trying to take it out and the freakin bolt on it is stripped (not by me even....) and its rusted in there and very hard to access.. how the hell do i get that off?

BITESIZE
12-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Which bolt is it? the one underneath or on top?

I had the same problem with the one underneath, so i sawed it off and put a new bolt and nut on. Problem solved.

One word.......Sawsall. It works great, just be careful and take your time. Another way is to drill the bolt out (if accessible).

HaccordR89
12-12-2003, 12:10 AM
yeah, you can use an easy-out kit from auto zone or wherever, or sawzaw or what ever the spelling is, they kick ass.

it's paid for
12-12-2003, 05:24 AM
. . . I had a similar problem last week . . . I bought the coolest tool from the auto parts store - it was a special socket that had little cams inside that would grip the stripped nut or bolt head . . . the tighter you'd turn, the tighter it would grip . . . this tool - for a 10mm head, was $10.80 but it wouldn't fit inside the engine head I was removing, so I had to take it back . . . Snap-On tools makes one too . . . I eventually had to pay a welder to come to my house & weld on a bolt, then a nut, then the bolt came out . . . but even then, not without a considerable struggle . . .

. . . good luck!

k-roy
12-12-2003, 05:54 AM
I baught this at Sears for $20. They have spiraled edges on the inside and they cut into the bolt. They come 5 to a set and it is well worth the investment.

http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/tools.jpg

I am refering to the things in the center. The orange tool is a snake with a magnet on the end.

johnwc723
12-12-2003, 06:04 AM
raw i will keep this in mind guys, thanks alot, hopefully i can just get it off (ill try a little harder :) )