PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start...Dont know whats wrong

jonzer77
12-12-2003, 01:21 PM
:wtf: okay I am not sure what the problem with my car is........I was driving home and when I got to a stop as I started to go and make a turn my car died, it sputtered and then wouldnt start back up, it had done this a couple times before but not for months......I replaced the wires, plugs, cap, rotor, and both fuel filters, I did a test for spark and I am getting spark and fuel, I can see it shooting from the carb.......someone told me its the ignition control module so I got 3 of them from the junk yard and still nothing, same problem.......so I got out the chiltons manual and it says how to test for the igniter unit but this is where my problem is......the manual says

1. remove the distributor cap, rotor, shield. Remove the distributor hold down bolts and remove the distributor for access. LEave the the distributor wiring harness connected. (did that)

2. remove the ignitor unit from the distributor housing. (did that)

3. with the ignition switch on use a volmeter to check for the presence of voltage at the black/yellow wire terminal, then at the terminals for the blue 1 wire, battery voltage should be present in both. ( did that, I got 12 at both)

4. turn the ignition switch off. (did that)

5. measure the resistance between the BLU 2 and the adjacent green wire terminals. It should be approximately 750 ohms. (when I did that I got 580 ohms)
now im not sure what that means is bad because the ignition control module isnt even on there so does that mean the distributor went bad, there is red dust everywhere in the old distributor. steps 6, 7, and 8 show how to test the actual igniter itself but it doesnt apply to 89 models which is what I have so I dont know what that 580 ohms means to replace.......the book doesnt specify......if anyone knows could they respond back......ps sorry for the essay I just wrote.......:stupid:

cruznz
12-12-2003, 01:53 PM
what were the readings on the others that you got?

Have you checked main relay?

NXRacer
12-12-2003, 01:55 PM
check your ECU for codes. it might give you a hint as to whats wrong.

jonzer77
12-12-2003, 01:55 PM
the readings on the first 2 control modules?

jonzer77
12-12-2003, 01:56 PM
do the lx models have ecu codes?

NXRacer
12-12-2003, 01:57 PM
check the black box underneath your drivers seat. with the key in the on position (one click back from start) if its throwing codes, the little light will flash.

jonzer77
12-12-2003, 02:02 PM
theres no black box there, just a blue thing back there with a little square hole on it and when I look though there theres something silver inside there.

Mac
12-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Yep that sounds like your ECU. Turn the key on and look in that little window for the codes. If there is any you will see it flash.

jonzer77
12-12-2003, 03:32 PM
:stupid: okay I am an idiot, I was looking in the book and I looked at the wiring for a DOHC motor and my car is obviously not a DOHC, its a SOHC and when I put in the ignition control module it wouldnt fire up, changed the wires and gave it some gas and it fired right up......so if your car dies on you and acts like it ran out of gas......the ignition control module is a common cause from what I have been told, go to pick and pull....they are in the "pocket" section and pop that thing in and there ya go, if anyone has any questions about how to remove the ignition control module ask me, I am a pro now after doing it 10 damn times.....thanks everyone.