PDA

View Full Version : 15 Mark on Flywheel???

joker2
12-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Just wondering why they have that -15- mark on the flywheel??? Is it for timing or anything like that???

A20Accord
12-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by joker2
Just wondering why they have that -15- mark on the flywheel??? Is it for timing or anything like that???

I think it's T. Yes! It's to SET to TDC.

joker2
12-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I have the "T" on my flywheel as well but I also have the number 15 with a line on each side of it....... It's about 5 to 6 teeth down from the "T" mark....... Has anyone noticed that as well???

1988starter
12-13-2003, 08:31 AM
I think when the car is running it is sposto be set 15 below TDC for ignitin timing.

AZmike
12-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 1988starter
I think when the car is running it is sposto be set 15 below TDC for ignitin timing.

We have a winner

joker2
12-14-2003, 07:33 AM
OK, so basically it is related to timing then..... Well I'm guesing if your "T" mark was off by one tooth then you could still set your timing by the distributor??? Someone correct me if I'm wrong here because this is the debate between me and my friend on this subject:smokin:

k-roy
12-14-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by joker2
OK, so basically it is related to timing then..... Well I'm guesing if your "T" mark was off by one tooth then you could still set your timing by the distributor??? Someone correct me if I'm wrong here because this is the debate between me and my friend on this subject:smokin:

Yes you can, its not ideal but it works.

AZmike
12-14-2003, 02:44 PM
The T mark is to make sure that the cam and crank and timed together correctly. The 15 and two tick marks near it (+/- 2 degrees) are for setting the ignition timing by turning the distributor.

DBMaster
12-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Actually, the timing should be on the T mark with the distributor vacuum hoses disconnected and plugged and at 15 BTDC with the hoses connected.

joker2
12-15-2003, 06:56 AM
Well the engine is out of the car and hanging on a hoist and basically what we did was while building the engine, when we were setting the timing we noticeed that we couldn't get the "T" mark any closer to TDC by one tooth..... We tried like for an hour and it was a no go so I thought that since it seemed to relate to timing that if it being off by that one tooth would affect it by that much than maybe we could correct it with the distributor..... So what I'm really asking here is if it's off by one tooth will we be able to make up for it by adjusting the distributor???

AZmike
12-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Actually, the timing should be on the T mark with the distributor vacuum hoses disconnected and plugged and at 15 BTDC with the hoses connected.

I was under the impression that the timing is set on our cars with the vacuum advance working since the spec is 15 +/-2 degrees BTDC.

DBMaster
12-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Mike,

You are correct. Checking the timing with the hoses both on and off bassically just tells you if the vacuum advance is functioning correctly.

I actually had to replace mine. It would advance the timing at idle, but it would not hold vacuum. I thought maybe it was responsible for an idle speed fluctuation I had. It wasn't.

POS carb
12-15-2003, 01:04 PM
it's for timing. 15* is the factory set for autos

TINBOAT
12-15-2003, 01:49 PM
15* set with vacuum hoses disconnected and plugged....if your advance is working correctly, your timing will go as high as 36* at a higher RPM (but the flywheel aint marked fer that)...as far as setting your timing to compensate for a misaligned timing belt, NOT recommended...piss poor gas mileage, lack of power, and overheating may result.