PDA

View Full Version : Installing Head - I'm Lost Again (sorry)

it's paid for
12-12-2003, 08:20 PM
. . . okay . . . today I was talking to my friend on the phone . . . you know, the ex-Honda mechanic . . . :rolleyes: . . . and he was trying to tell me how to put on the head . . . I had a vague idea what he was talking about . . . after explaining it the third time, I just went along with what he said . . . as if I understood it . . . but . . . of course . . . I didn't . . .

. . . let's take it from the top . . . before I put on the head, using the timing mark, I will rotate the crankshaft so #1 piston is TDC . . . fine . . . I'm okay so far . . . then I spin the cam pulley so it's aligned TDC for #1 piston . . . here's where I get lost . . . as far as I know, this cam pulley could be in one of two identical looking positions if it's lined up w/the cam pulley . . . how can I tell which one is which?

. . . does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks,

IPF

Gregg86DX
12-12-2003, 08:30 PM
One way to judge if the cam is oriented correctly is to look at the #1 cylinder valves. When the motor is TDC on #1, both the intake and exhaust valves will be closed on #1.

it's paid for
12-13-2003, 04:33 AM
. . . okay, that makes sense . . .

. . . I guess it's okay to spin the cam pulley a few turns to make sure the valves are at TDC for #1? . . . should I put oil on anything first?

. . . I just don't want to ruin this job . . . & believe me, I have a gift for ruining perfectly good work . . . two years ago I was going to paint my front door . . . I removed/stripped the paint five times and I painted it five times . . . after it was done, it did look great . . . this is my first time to replace a head on an engine . . . I really believe I can do it if I just get answers to a few more questions . . .

Thanks very much for your help - the Haynes manual, although very helpful, leaves out tons of important information.

IPF

k-roy
12-13-2003, 05:04 AM
I usually pour some fresh oil over the valvetrain when installing a head.

it's paid for
12-13-2003, 08:28 PM
. . . I can't believe I'm such an idiot . . . now . . . I think I'm beginning to understand . . . I put the head on wood blocks and tilted it up so I could see the valves . . . I got a 10mm (12?) socket and wrench and began turning the cam pulley nut . . . after about the third 360 degree revolution I finally understand it . . . the engine spins twice for every once the cam spins . . .

. . . ahhhhh . . . okay . . . now, I understand . . . I thought the cam spun every time the . . .

. . . nevermind . . .

Gregg86DX
12-13-2003, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of experience. There is no better teacher!

Originally posted by it's paid for
. . . I can't believe I'm such an idiot . . . now . . . I think I'm beginning to understand . . . I put the head on wood blocks and tilted it up so I could see the valves . . . I got a 10mm (12?) socket and wrench and began turning the cam pulley nut . . . after about the third 360 degree revolution I finally understand it . . . the engine spins twice for every once the cam spins . . .

. . . ahhhhh . . . okay . . . now, I understand . . . I thought the cam spun every time the . . .

. . . nevermind . . .

k-roy
12-14-2003, 05:26 AM
Yea, next time you do something like this its gonna be a lot easier, trust me.