PDA

View Full Version : Who has this on their 3G?

89AccordDXHB
06-28-2002, 11:29 PM
I bought my car with this thing welded to the gastank. I have no idea if it's a factory option or what....:confused:

It's a freaking tow thing-a-ma-bob?!?!

Uh....I have yet to use it.

accordlx
06-29-2002, 03:07 AM
Everyone.........

............ and I don't believe that is your gas tank. I don't have a coupe but generally, Honda puts gas tanks between the axles for safety reasons.

89AccordDXHB
06-29-2002, 07:27 AM
Oh.....everyone has this tow thing underneath their car? Hmmmm....I never noticed it while staring at other 3Geez.

Let's have some type of tractor pull competition using our 3rd gens. If we have this tow thingy, we might as well exploit it.

:D

YK86
06-29-2002, 10:02 AM
It's probably the hump for the trunk/spare tire.

accordlx
06-29-2002, 12:16 PM
It's the hookup for the tow truck to pull your car out of the ditch. There is one up front too under the center engine crossmember.

I know this one from personal experience. :(

B16 ED9
06-29-2002, 12:50 PM
do you only have one of those hook things under the rear of your car?

cause i have 2, one by the muffler and one on the opposite side. and the only thing i use them for is jacking up my car :D

guaynabo89
06-29-2002, 04:31 PM
Look at it carefully. Its some sort of flat plate right in the midlle of the bumper.

I'm not sure but theres supposed to be another part to it where the ball goes. I think that without that part its pretty much useless. So if you don't have the rest of it and don't like it you might as well just ake it off.

89AccordDXHB
06-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Well a trailer ball wouldn't fit there anyway. The flat piece of metal sticking out actually has a metal loop under it as to accomodate a hook. This thing is in the middle of the rear, welded.

I'll take a better picture of it soon. I looked at some other 3G Accords and I they didn't have it.

I'll get a better picture of it....I just need to recharge the digital camera.

:pimp:

POS carb
06-29-2002, 09:12 PM
looks like a regular ghetto hitch to me

<edit> many hitches include loops to accomodate safety chains in the unlucky event of a broken ball or lock. the ball breaks at least the chains keep the trailer behind you and not accross 4 lanes of pissed off traffic <edit>

guaynabo89
06-30-2002, 04:20 AM
Theres supposed to be another part that slides over and hooks up to that metal plate. This other part is where the triler ball is hooked on to.

Thats why I said it won't work if you don't have the other part.

89AccordDXHB
07-01-2002, 07:38 AM
http://164.67.121.124/manacsa/accord/towhitch1.jpg

http://164.67.121.124/manacsa/accord/towhitch2.jpg

Here are better pictures of this thing on my car. I'm just wondering if anyone else has it and who put it on? Was it Honda, the dealership, or uhaul :D .

Excuse my earlier post......yes it is not welded to the gas tank but to the spare tire well.

No laughing at my muffler.....it'll be replaced someday :( .

Jdub07
07-01-2002, 10:56 AM
Well mine doesn't stick out like that but I do have one. If I remember correctly and correct me if I'm wrong but those were originally put on cars for importing and exporting reasons. They would be chianed down to the ship because of uncertain weather conditions when at sea. My 77 bmw had it and so did my 71 supper beatle. I think most cars have that because when people move somewhere over seas the car must be secure.

BoredRec
07-01-2002, 09:19 PM
That hook has only one purpose and I don't think anyone has ever used it for that one purpose. It's not meant for towing...Honda put that hook there (and one in the front) to secure the car when they ship them on boat, train, truck, whatever. Newer cars have those hooks bolted on instead of welded on, so the dealerships can remove them before they sell them.