PDA

View Full Version : Overheating cat

j3fly1
12-14-2003, 06:15 AM
After about 10 miles of driving my 86 accord, you can feel the engine bump like the fuel/air mixture isn't just right. Then at about 20 miles it looses all power. I have to pull over and remove the air cleaner cover to get it to go. I don't know that it is a temporary fix because the most I drive it is another 20 miles after removing the air cleaner. But it seems to run fine after leaning the mixture out with the cover removal. Obviously the cat is overheating due to a mixture problem or emissions. Carb was rebuilt in feb., cat was replaced, replaced all dry rotted vaccum lines, i only had one diaphragm bad on the carb. and just orderd the intake heater diaphragm the other day, my little control box filter is being replaced due to dry rot, the egr diaphragm works good, I am changing thermovalve C on top of the thermostat housing that controls the secondary diaphragm. I am going to check the feed back control solenoids and anti afterburn solenoids today($173.00 ea.) to see if they are good. The weird thing is the car has done this before almost a year ago and it seemed to remedy itself. It only seems to do it when it is reallly cold, but I do know the choke coil heater is working. Ever heard of this, I think it is emmisions not mixture. The reason I say that it takes 20 miles of interstate driving to really see the problem. Unless the Secondary isn't being opened when it is supposed to? The diaphragm checks good with vaccum pump. Please help!

shepherd79
12-14-2003, 09:41 AM
check your vinturies. if they loose they will leak gas and it may cause the problems.