PDA

View Full Version : heater fan ??/

3vg
12-14-2003, 02:22 PM
89 lx, the fan is good switch is good, but there's no power at the switch. fuse box labels no fuse for the heater ? anyone know if there's a fuse ? or what color the hot wire is ? also we just got this car. had to put a new radiator in and fans. there's no thermo switch in the radiator ( yet ) and the junk yard gave us the wrong rad fan, so thats not hooked up. could that stuff keep the heater fan from working ? the ac fan works.

RustyHo88
12-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Are you talking about the Heater Blower motor (inside the car), or the main radiator fan connected to the radiator?

If the heater blower motor works (blows air), but its not hot, then you probably need to replace your thermostat. either that, or you have a clog in your cooling system somewhere that is keeping the coolant from getting to or past the heater hoses. Did you check both sets of fuses (drivers side kick panel and engine compartment)? I was pretty sure there was a heater fuse in there somewhere.

If you are talking about the fan on on the radiator, it will not work without the thermosensor on the bottom of the radiator. Are you using the stock wiring for the radiator fans? It sounds like they could be hooked up wrong. I could try to explain it all to you, but you would have better luck finding another 3g, and copying the wiring scheme from that.

Hope this helps; please clarify what more info you need. Sorry if I gave you tons of info you didn't need; just trying to be helpfull :wave:

88LXi/87CRXSi
12-14-2003, 03:42 PM
The fuse for the heater blower is fuse #22 in the underhood fusebox. You will never detect 12v at the blower switch, it only provides a path for the ground to reach the motor thru the blower resisters (mounted on the underside of the blower). Don't think there's any connection between the radiator fans and the heater blower. Here's a link to the blower circuit schematic, maybe it'll help more than my explanation.
BLOWER SCHEMATIC (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Blower.jpg)

cruznz
12-14-2003, 04:15 PM
i go along with what Steve has posted,...you can also check the resistance of the switch in all positions,(Off,On,,medium,fast)
Possible switch is open circuited thru all positions..(.which will be in the "off" position)

Vinny
12-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Usually the blower motor, diode., or resistor will go bad before the switch. Especially if its inop in all positions

3vg
12-15-2003, 10:41 AM
steve; thanks that fuse is burnt. ( #22 ) i don't think we would have found that with the help. now i hope we didn't burn anything else by jumping a hot wire to the switch. going to a j/y today and get all the goodie that are related to the heater fan and the right cooling fan. this car was given to my son by his boss. because it had a bad auto trans ( slipping ). it was slipping because they didn't put oil in it. it has a jdm motor. so far he has 300$ in it, windsheild, new radaitor, used fans, mirror,seats, few other plastic things. we got a trans from justin88, but may not need it. still need a radio ad wheels/tires. then we can go for the trick stuff thanks, you guys are a real help. these books are worthless